WeatherShield Tallboy Installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DPDISXR4Ti

Sep 22, 2021
New York
New here, with some questions about my installation of a Lindemann WeatherShield Tallboy in my air-cooled chimney pipe. I'm replacing the original square cap which was starting to rust-through a little. I've run a wood stove insert for about 20 years now, which had a 6" SS corrugated liner pipe added when that was installed. You can just barely see the top of it in the pics below - I had to shorten it a bit and didn't exactly cut it evenly. I'm wondering what the spec should be between the top of the pipe and the lid.

Right now, I've just got the whole cap assembly friction fit into the 10" pipe on the air-cooled chimney. The 3 straps don't seem to line up with anything I could positively fasten the cap to. Can I just silicone it at the various points of contact and call it good?

Lastly, I'm concerned about water intrusion. The hole for the chase cover is 17" while the bottom of the cap is 19". I realize it would take a near horizontal rain-fall to get in there, but I am at the top of a hill so we do get some wind up here. Thoughts?
ChimneyCapNew-1.jpgChimneyCapNew-2.jpg