Weed or Tree ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
maybe i can just stop mowing my lawn and live in a forest in about 3 years. Plenty of firewood. It would be crappy firewood, but i'd never run out...

No matter how you look at it, get it out. Roots and all. If that is a sumac (non-poisonous) or Ailunthus, you don't want it there. If you wait too long, at the rate that thing is growing, you'll never get it all.

I just passed an abandoned lot down on the other side of town, its LOADED with sumac.......all the leaves are flourescent orange/bright yellow. I'll take a picture of it later this evening.....

No matter how you look at it, get it out. Roots and all. If that is a sumac (non-poisonous) or Ailunthus, you don't want it there. If you wait too long, at the rate that thing is growing, you'll never get it all.

This is true. I have a few spots that I can not get to with a shovel to dig out the root system. I pretty much have to hack at it weekly.

Reactions: ScotO
I just passed an abandoned lot down on the other side of town, its LOADED with sumac.......all the leaves are flourescent orange/bright yellow. I'll take a picture of it later this evening.....
You are making me itchy.

yeah, the lot next to my yard (read: fifty feet away from this tree) is loaded with them. it's just a big f'n mess of what looks like underbrush. I guess that when they are growing dense, they don't get quite as big because of the competition.

why can't I have a sugar maple infestation?

Reactions: jeff_t and ScotO
why can't I have a sugar maple infestation?
Or an apple, peach, or pear tree infestation?! Why is it we always end up with a surplus of useless crap?!

Reactions: Danno77 and ScotO
way to be an optimist, Scotty!

If you dont get all the roots that such a weed tree i bet it grows back.

As far as how bit it will get with rain, prolly over your house easy in a few years!

As promised.....

2012-09-04_18-22-43_291.jpg 2012-09-04_18-23-06_543.jpg 2012-09-04_18-23-39_317.jpg 2012-09-04_18-23-43_637.jpg

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
i'm calmed down a little on the idea that it's poison sumac because it doesn't look like it grows around here and we are in a drought anyway.

generally speaking it shouldn't be hard to rid the flower garden of it if she just takes care of it like she should, but this summer was just insanely hot, busy, and dry, so she let it go.

Drought? Danno, didn't you just have a big rain there?

Oh jeez... so this thing will come back... now I have to go back in there and dig out the stump.

Ive got this tree, creeping charlie, and we have blackberry thorns growing all over the back... I was thinking I need to agent orange the yard... now I wonder if I might need to step it up... napalm strike.

Reactions: ScotO and Dave_B
We don't have any of those Trees of Heaven around here . . . not that I've seen at least. As others have said this does bear a passing resemblance to stagnorn sumac . . . which is more of an over-grown bush than an actual tree. My wife hates staghorn sumac for some reason and we've cut most of the sumac on our property down and burned it . . . and it burns up fast -- one of the faster burning woods as the center is kind of pithy. One benefit with staghorn sumac is that you can use the "flowers" to make a drink that tastes a lot like lemonade.

In any case . . . Tree of Heaven, staghorn sumac or poison sumac . . . seems like the verdict is to just get rid of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.