weirdest Wood item you ever burnt

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mass_burner

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2013
SE Mass
found 4 solid oak knife blocks at the town treasure chest. No finish on them either. Can't think of a scenario where someone would have these, salesman maybe? They chopped in half easily.

Does it just have to be in the stove, or does the fire-pit count? In the Stove - nothing but dried, seasoned, unpainted, anything. Recently burned some 75+ year 'seasoned' Mahogany as kindling, they were racks in a boat, unfinished and enjoying all those years of "seasoning salt". ;) Fire-pit sees things it shouldn't see and this summers theme was Musical Instruments - a cheap guitar that suffered an accident, and a broken birch snare drum shell, and a bunch of broken/chipped hickory and maple drum sticks.

Most Fun - A de-pledge's brotherhood book.

Most Dangerous/Disgusting - Dressed a pig for a hog roast in college. Came home to find out the roommates had put the skin, fat and trimmings into the stove. Crazy hot, sizzling fire that clogged the chimney cap with charred pig fat and caused all the smoke to back up into the house.

Last edited:
Couch, picnic table, bicycle, computer monitors, mattresses and box springs... I think the coolest was a bail of cardboard stolen from behind Walmart by my drunken roommate and half a dozen drunken football players.
And that was all in one night... :-D

Reactions: Brick (ware)House
kind of on topic- I found a bullet in one of my oak rounds from Bronx, NY. Hopefully, that didn't pass through someone that didn't deserve it. I still have it, too.

Dig around that tree. Find Jimmy Hoffa. >>

Beach party near Half Moon Bay on the California coast, late summer 1969. We had lugged a 12v. battery, 8-track tape player, and a pair of bookshelf size speakers down to the beach. One of the speakers we already knew was dying. At what I thought was an appropriate moment (not that I was thinking appropriately), I cast that speaker into the bonfire. At the time, the song that was playing was Led Zeppelin's "Communication Breakdown". The speaker sputtered and squawked and the wires burnt blue. Some guy I didn't know tried to kick it out of the fire, then a guy I did know kicked it back in and told the other guy to chill. The speaker was immolated. A few days later, I left to go to Navy Boot Camp.

Reactions: Soundchasm
[qutheank, post: 1596379, member: 26198"]Couch, picnic table, bicycle, computer monitors, mattresses and box springs... I think the coolest was a bail of cardboard stolen from behind Walmart by my drunken roommate and half a dozen drunken football players.
And that was all in one night... :-D[/quote]

In the stove?

Reactions: Sinngetreu
Got ya all beat. Several years ago I burned six or seven tailored Hart Schafner & Marx three piece suits in the old stove. Most expensive wood stove fire in history.

Does it just have to be in the stove, or does the fire-pit count? In the Stove - nothing but dried, seasoned, unpainted, anything. Recently burned some 75+ year 'seasoned' Mahogany as kindling, they were racks in a boat, unfinished and enjoying all those years of "seasoning salt". ;) Fire-pit sees things it shouldn't see and this summers theme was Musical Instruments - a cheap guitar that suffered an accident, and a broken birch snare drum shell, and a bunch of broken/chipped hickory and maple drum sticks.

Kieth Moon LIVES!!;lol

Reactions: Matt Ruggeri
I'm a control room operator at a trash to energy power plant, so I've seen all sorts of wierd things over the years.

Shortly after starting there I heard an awfull ruckus coming through the ash / metal separator at the end of the ash conveyor. It's basically a 6x12 foot vibratory separator like one would use for screening gravel & loam. I then saw a full sized car tire changing machine about the size of a decent office desk fall onto the metals recycle pile, bounce up in the air about 10 feet and ricochet off the steel building wall panels. !!!

There was a nearby poultry farm that suffered a massive avian flue infection. They gassed the birds, flash froze them and hauled them in 30 yard roll off containers. We had to track the start / stop times for proccessing them so we put stuff in our log like "commencing chicken BBQ." ;lol

Our favorite summertime fun is when the state and local PD's bring in all the fresh pot plants they find growing about. Nothing like a Chevy 2500 van full of fresh MJ plants going up. _g

Cut up old Xmas trees and wreaths placed on hot coal bed. Sure not exotic but man they flash over and just explode into a hot fire fast. It's actually a bit alarming to think this happens in some people's homes :oops:

I once cut up our very dry Christmas tree on the hearth and burnt it up in my old Fisher stove.
Huge fireworks. Never do that again.

When I was growing up in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn, in the 70's and 80's, around January we would search the neighborhood late at night for hours collecting and dragging Christmas trees down to the park near the Verrazano Bridge. We waited till we had around 25-30 of em. Then we lit em up. Went up in the sky like a torch.

Reactions: bluedogz
Most Fun - A de-pledge's brotherhood book.

Most Dangerous/Disgusting - Dressed a pig for a hog roast in college. Came home to find out the roommates had put the skin, fat and trimmings into the stove. Crazy hot, sizzling fire that clogged the chimney cap with charred pig fat and caused all the smoke to back up into the house.

I can't think of anything more potentially dangerous than a frat house with a wood stove.

Reactions: Applesister
I can't think of anything more potentially dangerous than a frat house with a wood stove.

No doubt. Lucky nothing really bad ever happened since the extent of the safety lecture was "guys, I know it looks cool but stop turning off the lights and making the stove glow orange". It was a a great way to light the flaming arrows that got shot into the side of the lamb chop house next door. RIP 918 S. Osteopathy - the new house is nice but can't hold a candle!

Status
Not open for further replies.