Well.... I started

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JimBear

Minister of Fire
Dec 15, 2017
Iowa
Mama was cold & wanted a fire, it was in the mid 50’s today, windy & raining. It’s supposed to be mid 40’s & raining tonight. I just cleaned the flue, firebox & replaced the baffle. “Happy wife, happy life”.

063CE30F-ED6B-4C0C-B321-E5C7A65AB50A.jpeg

Looks like you filled it up. What kind of wood are you burning? And are you feeling too much heat?

Looks like you filled it up. What kind of wood are you burning? And are you feeling too much heat?
I could of got 3-4 more splits in loading that way. I loaded with 2 splits of Red Elm & 3 Splits of Cherry. It was 60 in the house when I lit it & it’s 75 now in the stove room so not unbearable. It’s pretty well burned down now.
2E6BCA74-85F5-42AC-9541-2FB6EE03F3DA.jpeg

Reactions: thewoodlands
My wife built a fire today while I was at work. Can't recall having a fire in September. Crazy weather here. Record setting heat last week, overnight lows in low 40s last night and tonight. Wind gusting near 70 mph at our place, while 25 miles north gusts near 100. Lots of trees down and I've got nowhere to stash any firewood.

Reactions: JimBear
Wow. In the 80’s here. AC still on.....
It was in the mid 90’s Fri. - Sun. , low 80’s Monday then temps started dropping in the afternoon. I turned the ac off Mon. evening.

Probably start up tonight just to bump the temps. Have some poplar and pine set aside for some quick hot fires to take off the chill. Cloudy and 55 out, no sun coming in, things just don't warm up otherwise. Had the furnace on last night for 15min or so, but two days now of cool and it's time to move on. Still have a couple AC's in the windows, and probably will still need them sometime yet, but the tug of war between arctic cold and gulf air is in full swing.

57 here right now 40 last night
maybe put the stove on latter

I always itch to start a fire this time of year when it has been in the 50s and raining for couple of days. Then we cook up a storm for dinner and the house gains few degrees. Plus, a full stomach warms you up nicely. Have the VC cocked and ready but i think there will be no fire tonight. Buck to sunny and warm by tomorrow afternoon.

Mine wasn’t really much of a fire, gas/wood fireplace in the house we just moved into.
Big beautiful fireplace they put in back in 2008 and they never started a fire in it.

111DD889-D4A0-45DF-A173-AFC5394DF32B.jpeg
96031F0A-6A74-47FD-9FDA-7C0D1F5B3BC4.jpeg

Mine wasn’t really much of a fire, gas/wood fireplace in the house we just moved into.
Big beautiful fireplace they put in back in 2008 and they never started a fire in it.

View attachment 262980View attachment 262981
Looks brand new. Hopefully you can get some answers to your boiler questions that you posted in that section. With heating season just around the corner traffic should start to pick up in that area.

Reactions: Deets
Looks brand new. Hopefully you can get some answers to your boiler questions that you posted in that section. With heating season just around the corner traffic should start to pick up in that area.
Yeah, I’d like to get a decent setup. Won’t be in use till next heating season, but I’ve got quite a bit of work to get it how I want it.

Mama was cold & wanted a fire, it was in the mid 50’s today, windy & raining. It’s supposed to be mid 40’s & raining tonight. I just cleaned the flue, firebox & replaced the baffle. “Happy wife, happy life”.

View attachment 262944
Same fall like weather here, cool and drizzly. Good weather for a fire.

Have been making evening fires since Tues night. Cool and windy and rainy here in Madison, great excuse to start dipping into the shorts and uglies in my stacks! One more fire tonight to take the chill off then the stove will be cold for awhile as the weather looks to be better the next week. I cannot ever remember starting the wood stove this early in the season, even for small fires. In any case, who cares, burn season is back!! :)

8F1F4498-B64C-40F7-B5BE-FF33C0B42794.jpeg
Came to the lake and the house was nippie!
Bunch of uglies (hemlock naturally). First fire of the season.

Nope, I’ve never had a fire in September either but I did run the furnace a little last week. I set the thermostat at 65 so as not to use up my LP stores for the winter lol.

Same here. I guess there's a first time for everything. :eek:

It had dropped to 68 in the house, so I switched the thermostat from Cooling to Heating, heard the furnace kick in, let it run for a bit - always good to know that it still works - and then shut it down and built a fire! Stove and chimney were all ready to go, so why not?

My wife and I got some coffee and watched the fire and did sort of a collective sigh ... beautiful fire to watch and the feel of the wood heat - you just can't beat it.

I need to put my stove back together yet, it won’t take but a half hour if that to put the tubes and a few bricks in. I imagine it will be just a few weeks and I’ll start burning wood again. Just a side note, I was just cutting up some white birch that the power company took down on the road With my little 12" chinese JonCutter saw. I have thousands into my pro saws but it’s fun to run this little $99 saw some to see if it’ll hold up.

Colorado folks are probably burning, it was 98 at my nephews house and two days later 6 inches of snow, crazy weather in Colorado.

Reactions: Stelcom66
Earlier I said that I’ve never had a fire in September but now I have, it was 32 out this morning with frost and I let the house cool down overnight and I had my first fire a bit ago and so the heating season begins.