Well.... I started

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I think it was September 12 we had our first shoulder season fire with white pine that was c/s/s over a year ago, with tonight's fire, we've had a total of six fires.

I'm just waiting for the leaves to come off the Ash too start the fall felling.

Reactions: JimBear
I am SO looking forward to woodstove season. Should be here soon. This summer was the hottest on record, so IMO the worst on record.

I’m a little torn on wanting winter to arrive since they are soo long up here but albeit they are shorter than in some parts of Canada I’m sure But we are actually north of some parts of Canada like a Ottawa and Toront. Summers here in NW Wisconsin are nice for the most part, you can get some warm humid days but it rarely goes over 90 and there’s many days in the upper 70’s and low 80’s and not humid as well. I couldn’t take the summers in Texas, Florida or Arizona, nope no way!

I actually want to burn in the cookstove, but I've been holding back on even these cold mornings. The house ends up warming up in an hour or two after sunrise.

Reactions: WiscWoody
I actually want to burn in the cookstove, but I've been holding back on even these cold mornings. The house ends up warming up in an hour or two after sunrise.
Looking forward to that too - on Sundays in winter I'd sometimes simmer stew all day on the stove.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Looking forward to that too - on Sundays in winter I'd sometimes simmer stew all day on the stove.
I love eight hour stews, soups, etc. The pressure cooker has taken over during the summer, but soon...

Not sure if they count, but we're using the cool weather to do the break-in burns for our stove. Only supposed to get them up to 250F for 20min to cure the paint. Just cold enough outside to get a good draft but warm enough that we didn't mind opening a couple of windows to vent the fumes.

I love eight hour stews, soups, etc. The pressure cooker has taken over during the summer, but soon...

I will admit to using the pressure cooker. It'll be a while before it's cold enough for the 8 hour wood stove meals. But when it happens - the living room smells great. Tomorrow back to splitting more wood, nice the weather is better (cooler) for that.

I just overcooked my place with BK Princess. Did not think it was possible.....

I lit the cooker this morning since the house was 62 when we got up. Just some lumber cut offs, trimmings, etc.

Reactions: Riff and JimBear
I might spark one up tonight, I call it a seasoning fire to cure any moisture that might have been absorbed into the bricks during the summer (this seems more of a old wives tale, but its a good excuse)

Just when it felt like fall the last few nights later this week, when it is officially fall later this week temperatures may be near 80. I am so ready for the cooler weather to stay.

Just debating whether I should pick the green tomatoes and peppers and bring them in the house. Says a low of 34, but sometimes that means a couple degrees colder for me. Forecast says frost, not a hard freeze, so probably ok to leave them.

You guys in Canada are lucky - you probably already have fall weather.

Fired up the stove here yesterday morning, last night and again this morning . . . it was either that or my wife would be turning on the oil boiler . . . and since I am very cheap . . .

I started a fire in my outdoor wood stove on Saturday night. Got down to 35 and a heavy frost on Sunday morning. I have left it burning although yesterday, the heat did not click on all day as it got back up to 64 degrees. I will probably keep it going tonight and let it burn out since it is supposed to warm back up for the next 5-7 days with the lows staying in the 50's. Last year, I started a fire in my stove in mid September and it never went out until mid May.

Just when it felt like fall the last few nights later this week, when it is officially fall later this week temperatures may be near 80. I am so ready for the cooler weather to stay.

Just debating whether I should pick the green tomatoes and peppers and bring them in the house. Says a low of 34, but sometimes that means a couple degrees colder for me. Forecast says frost, not a hard freeze, so probably ok to leave them.

You guys in Canada are lucky - you probably already have fall weather.
not sure if that makes us lucky...

actually having a late warm snap right now, with daytime highs around 20*C

A lot of New England has been right around the freezing point the past few nights. I burned some of the leftover splits from last season because the house has been 61 every morning. Man that stuff burns easy. As dry as it gets. I always forget to wipe the dust off the stove so the first burn smells of burning dust.

Was near freezing here in Conn. last night. I'm just hoping the few large green tomatoes I have in the garden will be ok for another week or so to reach the 'Breaker Stage', when they can be picked and brought in the house to ripen.

Good tip re: dusting off the stove before the first use of the season. I'll probably still forget to.

MissMac I think your warm snap is heading to southern New England the next few days. I just don't like hot weather, especially the summer we just had. Fall and winter (as long as it's not too severe) are fine by me. Easier to make heat than cold.

Reactions: MissMac
We had 30 this morning so we had another pine fire while having coffee.

Easier to make heat than cold.

Actually, in terms of energy, it is easier (and thus cheaper) to cool a space than to heat it. I only learned that recently when I was trying to compare energy costs of the typcial Floridian dealing with summer heat, to the the typical Mainer dealing with winter cold. It is easier to move heat out of a space than to create or move heat to warm a space is basically the bottom line.

Actually, in terms of energy, it is easier (and thus cheaper) to cool a space than to heat it...

Interesting study with results I would not have expected. I should have specified - easier to make heat with natural resources, in my case fortunately most of the wood I have on hand was free. Of course not really 'free' - cost of fuel to get it, paying the tree company to take the tree down etc. I do know I could not live in Florida dealing with their summer heat.

well - today i started too. woke up to 5*C outside and it drizzling sideways. after the furnace had done a cycle i realized what am i waiting for! oh my goodness, i always seem to forget just how wonderful a little fire on a damp day can be. cheers fellas :)

@MissMac hows the shoulder treating you?

Congrats! It's in the low 80s here - looking forward to cool weather. We're supposed to get very much needed rain tomorrow.
I guess the consolation is maybe a few more tomatoes will ripen.

Sorry to hear you have a shoulder situation. That can be tough for those active with firewood burning.