Well.... I started

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
@MissMac hows the shoulder treating you?
Not the greatest, but I'm managing. With all the COVID stuff going on, surgery was postponed all summer. I got a call 2 weeks ago to go in to get the first shoulder done Oct. 15th, but I declined the invite. Although I need the surgery on both shoulders, going into winter lame-duck isn't really an option for me. Got 150ft of driveway that needs to be plowed, and country living that demands attention especially in winter. So, I'm on the list for spring. Hopefully I can get at it then.

This year I ended up buying the 4 cord of 8 ft lengths so that I didn't have to do quite as much. It ended up taking me all summer to process, cause I could only do a day at a time, then I'd have to pay for it for 2-3 weeks.

But all done, plus got an extra 2-ish cords set aside to restock the shed in the spring in anticipation of the surgery. Three years of wood laid up in the shed, plus another 2 cord - the best i've ever been sitting. I'll see what more I can scrounge over the winter, so then hopefully I'll be all set and wont fall behind not being able to do wood for a year.

Thanks for asking about the shoulder Kenny :)

20201001_212647.jpg

First of the year, tried the furnace for a bit last night, thought I would try the fp30 tonight. The dog was happier with the fire.

Reactions: mcdougy
that is beautiful stone work - looks wonderful!
Thank you. It was alo of work to" straighten" the stones. Every stone required at least 2 sides to be cut with the grinder. Sticking them to the board and grouting them was not to bad. Took about 40hours in total. The stone hearth and mantle took a few helpers to put in place. IIRC the mantle was just over 400lbs. The good news is it all turned out and I'm glad I tackled it myself...I get that little bit extra satisfaction from the "fruits of my labour" There hasn't been anything "easy" about a woodstove in a new house, but the work is well worth it in mine and my wife's mind. We LOVE it.

Reactions: MissMac