Welp, it's 11:30 and 23 degrees out.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
I just topped off with some nice, dry maple for the night. Stove room is 85 degrees and the furnace will not be coming on.

Life is good.

I'm not even done typing the message and the stove looks like an inferno inside.

Matt

Yikes! Your room is at 85 degrees? I'd be hanging out of the door gasping for air....lol! When my room temp reaches 78 I crack open a few windows and starve the stove a bit. My personal comfort range is between 68 and 74, and I am wearing short sleeves around the house and barefoot.

My friend put plastic over all of her windows again recently and offered me some and I said, "Gads! No thanky ma'am!!"

I love wood heat!

Limestone, I am 85 miles west of you and the temp this morning is 11 °F. House dropped to 60 deg last night and is now at 70. Nice secondary burn going in the PE Spectrum. Life is indeed very good. During the burn season my stove requires some personal care and feeding. It reimburses me with moderate exercise, a warm house, money saved, diminished burning of petroleum products, and the daily feeling of pleasure and relaxation I've not experienced on paid vacations.
Best wishes,
John_M

Yep. Loaded up at eight last night and got up at 7:30 this morning to 16 degrees outside, 71 in the house and a good coal bed so it is reloaded and off and running again. I think winter has arrived in The Old Dominion. Supposed to be colder tonight.

70 in house 6deg out

Not so much the cold this morning but the wind, this house suffers in the wind. The furnace woke me up this morning which means it fell below 65 in the way back room. The 3/4 load from last night was still heating but our main room (35 x16) was 70 and falling. 30 minutes later the furnace had finished one cycle and the stove was hot, tonight will be the test, I may have to leave the air supply slightly above off.

EatenByLimestone said:
I just topped off with some nice, dry maple for the night. Stove room is 85 degrees and the furnace will not be coming on.

Life is good.

I'm not even done typing the message and the stove looks like an inferno inside.

Matt

Matt we have a basement install and had the temp at 83 then put some maple splits in and called it a night. This morning the basement was 75 and upstairs was 70, the temp outside was 16. Had some nice coals in the morning to start a fire and the basement temp was up to 78 for the wife before I left for work, so far we have been burning mostly Cherry.

Zap

FireWalker said:
Not so much the cold this morning but the wind, this house suffers in the wind.

I feel your pain. Once it clocks up around 30 especially with those bigger gusts, we pay for all the glass and the exposed ridge.

It went down to 16 or so last night. It'll be another cold one tonight. Wind is nasty to the heat in houses.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.