Weso Renaissance Cracked Firebox

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ColdMatt

Aug 23, 2021
Maine
Hi. I'm currently buying a house that has a Weso Renaissance stove in it. When I opened it up I noticed a crack in the back panel (See photo). It doesn't appear to go through to the exterior, however the rear of the stove is difficult to see.
I am new to wood stoves and am curious if this crack would necessitate a complete replacement. Spare parts seem very difficult to find.
Is it possible to put some firebreaks along the back to minimize the heat impact or would that effectively ruin the burn box.

The stove is beautiful and made in West Germany, so it'd be really cool to be able to run it as is, even if it's inefficient.

Thanks!

IMG_2404.jpg

I think this stove had an inner fireback. If so, this one is on its way out, and getting a replacement part could be very hard if not impossible. I'm not sure if there is some way to secure a wall of firebrick in the rear to protect it. It's a beautiful stove but it may be at end of service if a remedy is not found.

It's a freestander.

When I look closely at the picture it looks like thin plating over the top thicker metal. For what ever reason there are small holes in the plating. They must have some purpose. I was going to suggest bolting a 1/4 inch plate inside the stove on the back wall but now that I see those holes I am hesitant. I am not familiar with how this stove operates.

So here is the link to the exploded diagram from woodsmans. The part is not available through them, which really would have been your best bet. But you can study the diagram and figure out the basics of the stove. It does not look like Wesos were user friendly in the maintenance department. Alot like my ex gfs Audi. Those germans over engineer haha

I found this guy locally selling a Weso, not sure if its the same model, but it also says repaired and restored.
I would shoot him an email and see if he did the work and could answer your question, or put you in touch with the guy who did the work.

It looks like a refractory or vermiculite panel was fitted in the back of that stove. Not a bad idea if properly secured and treated with care. I found a nice Weso Rennaissance that appears to be in good condition, but it's in South Dakota.

Reactions: D. Hermit
It looks like a refractory or vermiculite panel was fitted in the back of that stove. Not a bad idea if properly secured and treated with care. I found a nice Weso Rennaissance that appears to be in good condition, but it's in South Dakota.
Yea I like them, Id pick one up to put in the collection if the right one in good condition came up.

When I look closely at the picture it looks like thin plating over the top thicker metal. For what ever reason there are small holes in the plating. They must have some purpose. I was going to suggest bolting a 1/4 inch plate inside the stove on the back wall but now that I see those holes I am hesitant. I am not familiar with how this stove operates.
I know this is an old thread, but we finally moved into the house and I'm hoping to fire up the stove. What would be the downside of bolting a plate to the back wall? I feel like it could only help protect the main structure.

Thank you! It does look like a refractory panel of some kind that is burnt through. Thoughts on bolting a 1/8" plate onto the back wall as I can't find a supplier for the original panel (or have the stomach for dis/re-assembly)?