Wet wood: I think I'm screwed for this winter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dune said:
JWM48 said:
What do you guys think about a load of cherry rounds that were stored in racks uncovered for a year and a half or so. Any chance they can be split now and be ready in a few months?

Yes, it will be fine.

I've had good luck with black cherry in short time. Bucked in July, small splits, MC of 20% by October.

richg said:
Gang,

I gots a problem here and was wondering if anyone has any advice. NJ has received historic amounts of rain since August, and my stacks are soaking wet. I only have 1.5 cords stacked under the porch where the wood looks in fine shape. Given a dismal forecast and that burning season will soon be upon us, any ideas on what can be done? Fans, dehumidifers, stacking some inside? Thanks.

I'm with you, nonstop rain the past 6 months it seems, never seen so much fungi as I have on my stacks :-( Luckily on dry days it does seem fine.

Now I am on a mission to find logs that have been sitting around for the last 3-5yrs. If anyone has no someone who has that please let me know. I will have plenty of wood for next year, because I work at a landfill and that's where all the brush is coming to after Hurricane Irene. It would be great if someone here on Long Island sold a TRUE cord.

There is a place in Bridgehamton with a pile of well seasoned oak. I can't remember the name, but it is out by the airport, north of 27.

The name of the place is in a thread from last winter if you want to search for it.

church479 said:
Now I am on a mission to find logs that have been sitting around for the last 3-5yrs. If anyone has no someone who has that please let me know. I will have plenty of wood for next year, because I work at a landfill and that's where all the brush is coming to after Hurricane Irene. It would be great if someone here on Long Island sold a TRUE cord.

Was going to suggest the landfill. I did some of my best scrounging there last year. But they are not always willing to let you look around.

Gabe

church479 said:

I don't think logs that have been sitting around 3 to 5 years will be any better than fresher wood. Maybe if the wood is locust or ash (woods that don't rot quickly) it will be OK, but oak will be very wet and many lighter woods will be starting to rot.

RichG,

I know what you are saying. This has been the coolest summer in NNJ with record rainfall. I too was miffed at our joke of a summer that lasted all of a few weeks at best. This summer sucked. I think we only broke 90 degrees a few times and it seems clouds and rain were the norm. Not the best conditions for seasoning firewood.

I still think you'll be alright. My stacks were complete before March 1st. Most of it was started and near & done the previous October. I covered the tops the first part of september. My wood is dark gray and checked and seems to be ready to go. I don't worry about surface moisture from rain - that will dry soon enough if we have a dry October. I am fixing to start loading my garage soon in anticipation of a first burn by the end of the month. I've got cherry, ash, locust, and oak. I don't own a meter - but I know it's good. The oak was struck by lightning and dead standing. I'm saving it for the coldest days!

When did you finish putting up your wood for this season and what types of wood?

Status
Not open for further replies.