Wetwood disease

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Travishall

Nov 14, 2018
Central New York
Anybody cut hardwood that has been afflicted by "wetwood disease"? Is it worth trying to season?

Sure, wetwood is just a an anaerobic condition in the wood. Without oxygen wounded wood doesn't rot (fungus), but is in a constant state of infection/ reinfection (bacterial) causing slime flux, CO2, and alcohols.
https://www.mortonarb.org/trees-plants/tree-and-plant-advice/help-diseases/wetwood
Once C/S/S the wood quickly dries and burns like any other piece of wood of that species.

I've read it slows the drying process, even with kiln drying.

I think I have some sugar maple that has Wetwood and it has been slow to season. It has gotten to below 20 percent moisture content, but it foams and hisses. I read that Wetwood can cause pockets of high moisture content compared to the relatively low moisture content of the rest of the wood . I think that it what I see in my stove as the wood burns well overall.