What’s this wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Enplater

Burning Hunk
Jun 6, 2017
NH
I never figured out what species of tree this was. It was heavy and the bark was kinda thick and very tough. It left a lot of coals at the end of a burn.
Can someone tell me what this is? I got it somewhere in southeast NH.
IMG_0266.jpegIMG_0265.jpeg

I can pretty much always ID anything I'm splitting, but doing it in a photo without the aid of feel and smell is tougher for me. Without seeing the freshly split face, just from the bark and end color, I could've said plain old ash, before patrickk went all exotic on us. ;lol

From photos identifying wood is difficault at best.
So I go to my standard answer
" I'll go out on a limb and say it is firewood" :)

Reactions: patrickk222
The color of the wood and look of the bark says hickory.

Without seeing the freshly split face, just from the bark and end color, I could've said plain old ash, before patrickk went all exotic on us. ;lol
Yep, we need a good split-face pic, for sure.
I'm not ready to go 'exotic' yet, but several of the Hickories are wide-spread, and common. In ME, not as much so from what I see in The Guide. I'm pretty sure he must've seen Shagbark up there...
Yes, you could've said Ash, but I'm pretty sure you'd've been wrong. 😏 He said it was heavy, and that the bark was very tough. Doesn't sound like the White Ash I see here, and the bark sure doesn't look like it. As a couple posters have said, the bark is barking "Hickory!" 🐕

Ok so I have a pic of it split, then next to ash and another next to hickory. Thanks for all the replies. I’m still stumped, if I remember correctly it liked to make the fireworks when stoked.
IMG_0602.jpegIMG_0604.jpegIMG_0605.jpeg

It sure looks like that mockernut hickory though looking at pictures on the internet.

One more picture of it.
IMG_0606.jpeg

I'm "stumped." 😏 That split face looks more like Sassafras (it's not) than it does Hickory. And Hickory would be stringy; That looks like it wasn't too hard to split at all...? That darker center is a distinguishing feature, too.
The rings look close together on the previous pics. That will be a little heavier than a faster-growing tree of the same species would be, but I don't really know how much of a factor that could be. Time to call on the guys that actually know something. 😆
@CincyBurner @nrford

Last edited:
Ok so I got some more pictures. I stripped the bark off a smaller piece and cut an end off. Also there is a picture of just bark that had fallen off last winter.
I also found a picture in log form before I cut and split it from Aug 2017.
Like I said, the bark is very tough and does not want to come off. Also it’s very tight grain.
Thanks again for trying to help me figure this out. I don’t need to know for any reason, just curiosity.
IMG_0615.jpegIMG_0614.jpegIMG_0613.jpegIMG_0612.jpegIMG_0611.jpegIMG_0526.jpeg

The logs with the dark center in the bed of my truck on the bottom. Looks like I also got ash, oak and maybe maple that day.

Id dwfin say now she's more than likely hickory
I bet you’re right. It doesn’t look like the typical shag bark hickory we have here though.

I bet you’re right. It doesn’t look like the typical shag bark hickory we have here though.
Based on pics 5 and 6, sure looks like Hickory. The ones I see a lot here are Shagbark and Pignut, but that bark is different. It certainly has the segmented look to the bark ridges that I associate with Hickory. The larger dark centers on those logs are something you see in the Hickories as well.

Last edited:
It doesn’t look like the typical shag bark hickory we have here though.
It's tough to ID from bark, since it varies so much. For example, look at the earlier bark pics you posted, compared to the last set..

Ash. Has the D shaped holes in the bark along with the travel trails under the bark.

Ash. Has the D shaped holes in the bark along with the travel trails under the bark.
I've seen a slightly dark center on some White Ash, but not as dark as the bottom logs on the trailer. And the last bark pics don't look like White Ash to me. Maybe he has Green or Black Ash up there. He said it's real heavy, though, and those low-BTU Ash varieties wouldn't be..
I'm not seeing the D-shaped holes...??

IMG 606 -D hole

This is a tough one. I’m not an expert but I don’t think it’s ash. The bark is very tough/durable, I had some that had fallen off the wood last winter and was burning it today in the fire pit. I usually break the bark up into skinnier sections when I burn it but this bark was so tough I couldn’t break it by hand.
The rings were very tight and it was fairly heavy when dry.
Maybe someday I’ll come across one of these trees on a hike and I can get a picture of the leaves.

First impression: To me bark has distinctive appearance of hickory (maybe pignut ? - VT Dendro pignut or maybe C. ovalis - VT Dendro - red ). interlaced ridges (smooth with light horizontal breaks in the ridges).
Enplater: Can you get tight shot of leaves in bed of truck (last pic of post #11).

First impression: To me bark has distinctive appearance of hickory (maybe pignut ? - VT Dendro pignut or maybe C. ovalis - VT Dendro - red ). interlaced ridges (smooth with light horizontal breaks in the ridges).
Enplater: Can you get tight shot of leaves in bed of truck (last pic of post #11).
Yeah, I wondered about those leaves, then saw that the log pic was from 2017, so no help there. What I can see, leaves look like they might be on the the Oak, if I had to guess..

This is the best I can do.
IMG_0620.pngIMG_0619.pngIMG_0618.png

Look like maple leaves to me.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Just when this thread was getting boring, you post this! The end grain looks like classic hickory, not maple. The bark could be too, but there are so many varieties that I'd not go by that alone. But as you noted, there's no way those leaves are hickory.

Wet Silver Maple?