What a difference a year makes!!!!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
woodchip said:
Backwoods Savage said:
Very nicely done woodchip. btw, what are the barrels along the fence?

They are old recycled originally used to import mustard from Dijon.

Cleaned out, they make great water storage for thr greenhouses, for all the tomatoes growing during Summer.

I store rainwater in them, plants prefer rainwater to tapwater, the water is free, and the storage is free.

It's nice to see them full at the start of a drought and water restrictions...... ;-)

I wondered if that were what they were used for. We have something similar. I load them on a trailer and go to a neighbor's pond for water. Not sure how many loads I get during summer months but it is a lot. We have very light yellow sand here, like beach sand so water just runs through it fast. If we get 2" of rain I can still work the ground within a day or two at most while others have to wait a week.

bluedogz said:
Alright, I'll bite.... what's a 'conservatory'?

Sort of a garden room on the side of the house that is great in Summer for sitting in out of the cool sea breeze.

Here is a really posh one, ours is much more basic, but it still acts as a halfway between inside and outside:

http://www.oakconservatories.co.uk/victorian.htm

Backwoods Savage said:
Very nicely done woodchip. btw, what are the barrels along the fence?

Those are to soak his firewood in after it gets too dry in those kilns... er, I mean greenhouses. :lol:

I was wondering how people in England/Ireland season wood!

wellcome woodchip ,we can all sure learn something here ,with all the years of and many cords the members have put up in flames...ok i do have a question a lot of people will post and make a coment about a pic,but just like yours ,i see no pic ,,members how do i see the hidden pics... ZZZim

Adabiviak said:
Dude, that's nuts. Are those leftover greenhouses from some other project? Is that glass or plexiglass/lexan (and if glass, how are none of the side panels broken)? Are greenhouses better for seasoning wood? It seems like they'd inhibit moisture loss.

They are used for tomato growing in Summer, but when it gets wet and cold in the fall, I move dry wood into them.

The doors are kept open during the day when it's dry and breezy, but kept closed when raining, just to ensure the wood stays as dry as possible.

I know it seems like a lot of moving stuff about, but I couldn't work out any other way of undercover storage in a very damp maritime climate (90% humidity outside today, regular sea fogs in the fall).

The wood is stacked carefully, no glass broken yet.........

And yes, we are all nuts over here.... ;-)

zim said:
wellcome woodchip ,we can all sure learn something here ,with all the years of and many cords the members have put up in flames...ok i do have a question a lot of people will post and make a coment about a pic,but just like yours ,i see no pic ,,members how do i see the hidden pics... ZZZim

Thanks for the welcome, which pics can you not see?

I'm trying to work that one out :)

you mentioned your woodshed to snowleaperd i think you said (3) of them .and someone mentioned a wood pile ...i sii no pics on this thread,is there something i need to click on to see them, or maybe my work pc if filtering them out...

No idea why the pictures popped up, I tried to just post links

aaaaaarrrrrrrggggggggg ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.