What a lovely little power outage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 23, 2014
Central O-hi-o
Heavy winds and rain today. A line was down on a road nearby and power out all over.

At home with take-out pizza, some candles, a Hearthstone Heritage and 3 cords of seasoned ash.

You all would probably not be surprised to hear we were a little let down that the power was restored after just a few hours.

In our area we probably should have a generator because sometimes our area is pretty far down on the restoration list (you could her a couple in every direction), but a few hours offline was rather nice.

Reactions: nvanhar
Yes, a wonderful thing, to have heat in your house when the power is out. I love wood stoves!

Reactions: Jerhurt and Seanm
A few hours without power . . . a bit of a nostalgic novelty . . . a reminder of when folks didn't rely on electricity and all their electronic gadgets to entertain us . . . a time to sit back and play board games with the light of candles or kerosene lantern.

A few days without power . . . pure hell if you're used to hot showers, microwaved meals and you've now missed the latest episode of your favorite show and all your portable devices have lost power and cannot be recharged. ;) :)

In all seriousness . . . I never mind losing power for a few hours . . . but after a few days (only has happened a couple of times -- the Ice Storm of 1998 (14 days) and the most recent snow storm from a few weeks back (3 days) . . . the loss of power and inconvenience does get a bit old . . . even with a generator as the one I have does not power up the water pump, water heater, etc.

Of course, down the road from me . . . my Amish neighbors are not inconvenienced one iota. :)

I agree with Firefighterjake , a short time without power & a toasty wood stove to keep things warm is really nice BUT it's a tough life without power after a few days ........

I live on a street that divides city limits, I chuckle (just a little) when the subdivision across the street goes dark as far as I can see and we have full service. You see, 35 years ago when our city issued zoning permits, they required all power lines except the main feeds go underground. No fear of ice storms or wind storms but we do get the occasional lightning strike on a transformer, but now we are talking hours not days without service.

Status
Not open for further replies.