what a wasted day

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
steeltowninwv said:
backwoods i have thought about going the dremmel way....what stone would i use for a .325 pitch?

Dang, I don't remember what the stone is. I'd have to stop at the Stihl shop to find out. But any saw seller would be able to advise on that.

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
Backwoods Savage said:
Steeltown, I sharpened by hand for many, many moons until my hands could no longer take the filing. I then bought one of the little dremel tools for sharpening chains. Works like a charm so long as you are careful. Biggest problem would be holding the grinder on the tooth too long and heating it. I've not done that yet, thankfully.

btw, most of the time I have only one chain on hand. When it gets close to needing a new one then I will buy one and keep it with me but at other times I see no need for owning more than one chain for one saw.

With age comes wisdom . . . but anyone that goes into the woods with no back up chain . . . hmmmm, maybe on the down slope of the bell curve now??

Well, my curve has been a bit slippery at times, but if I had a problem, I just get back on the atv and drive to the house or barn. :)

varna said:
woodchip said:
varna said:
ISeeDeadBTUs said:
:coolhmm: you take 26 chains into the woods?? :coolhmm:

Yep, plus my skid steer, dump trailer, chaps, helmet, gloves, 4 saws, log roller (hook), gas, oil, water, food, pull chain, rope, spray paint, and wife!
Like I said, lots of prep and loading to go out, don't want a chain to stop me.
I try to get at least 4 trailer loads (cords) home per outing.

I'm surprised you can get more than a couple of splits in the trailer with all that stuff onboard ;-)

LOL...All that stuff is in the back of the Toyota Tundra......which is pulling the trailer with the skid steer in it. I cut and my wife usually runs the skid steer.....I fill the bucket, she takes to the trailer. When it's full, she'll run it home, dumps, comes back. Meanwhile, I keep cutting. At the end of the day, after the last load of wood is gone, load up skid steer and go home. I'm pretty lucky, I have all the wood I can cut within 10 miles of home.....for now anyway

Wow! Nothing's stopping you from getting a day's work done! I'd love to be able to get 4 cords in a day! I usually take 4 chains with me and I thought that was a lot!

NATE379 said:
I clean my chains up every other tank of fuel but after a while it needs to get done on teh machine. I have several chains so I'll just swap to a good chain and drop the dull one off when I pass by. $8, but better than $25 for a new chain.

Same here...basically run the tank, and then I file a few passes on each link.....do this trice then swap out for my backup chain. Then, I file them good on the work bench in the cellar

Backwoods Savage said:
steeltowninwv said:
backwoods i have thought about going the dremmel way....what stone would i use for a .325 pitch?

Dang, I don't remember what the stone is. I'd have to stop at the Stihl shop to find out. But any saw seller would be able to advise on that.

Should be 3/16" Depends on the chain itself but all .325 I've seen is 3/16".

Sounds like you need to take a flat file to the rakers SteelTown. Most shops don't take the time to take them down after sharpening and if they're too high you get a sharp chain that won't cut! 3-4 strokes on each and try it again. File from the inside of the chain out, do one side (every other cutter) first then the other.

Steeltown, do you have a lowes near you. If so do yourself a favor and pick up a Husqvarna roller type filing guide/kit and learn to use it (easy peasy). Cut like new till you throw the chain away.

I don't see why he couldn't in a day.

My brother and one of his inlaws go out for a day on a weekend and will pull out 10 cords without working too long 8-10hrs at the most. Cut and limb by hand and use a dozer to skid the wood into piles near the dump truck. Then buck and into the dumptruck.

The inlaw burns 100 cords a year. No that isn't a typo. Heats a large farmhouse, 2 car garage, swimming pool, milking parlor and machine shed all on 1 outdoor boiler.

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
Well, I know Joisey Gurls can keep you young . . . but I'm thinkin' yer not gettin 4 cord of FIREWOOD a day . . . yer gettin log lengths that you figure is somewhere around 4 cord :)

But its all good!!

nope..chain on right...thats almost insulting

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
Well, I know Joisey Gurls can keep you young . . . but I'm thinkin' yer not gettin 4 cord of FIREWOOD a day . . . yer gettin log lengths that you figure is somewhere around 4 cord :)

But its all good!!

Well,
to be technical, I never said "firewood" I said "loads". Absolutely, if I can get it out in log form, I cut them 132" drop my tailgate, stack them on. Most times though, I can't get the logs through the trees so buck everything 22" and haul it out with the skid steer. I have a 7,000lb. dual axle 6 x 10 dump trailer with the standard 2ft. sides to which I added PT 2 x 12's to the side rails for additional height. I always heap the loads as much as I can. According to my math, loaded straight across would be 180sqft of wood.......then when I do split it......the pile gets bigger? Right? So, I don't figure it is somewhere around 4 cords.........I know it's usually more..........but who is counting :)

LOL, I'm not countin' . . .nor lookin 4 a pissin match

But I'd like to know . . .so I could do it myself, of course . . .

How One person - myself, for example - could cut and load a bucket with 4 cords of firewood in say 8 hours.

Cause a 72" bucket, REALLY full, will hold say 1/4 cord (closer to 1/5) so I'd have to cut & load that bucket full 16 (closer to 20) times in a day.

Easy to see that a wife and/or GF could keep up, operating the loader and the truck. But cut and load every 1/2 hour for 8 hours a day?!? Highly unlikely, for me at least. And that would have to assume that the logs were already skidded and staged.

That would be really cool if I could take three days out of my life each year to get my firewood.

Just sayin'

varna said:
ISeeDeadBTUs said:

But its all good!!

Well,
to be technical, I never said "firewood" I said "loads". Absolutely, if I can get it out in log form, I cut them 132" drop my tailgate, stack them on. Most times though, I can't get the logs through the trees so buck everything 22" and haul it out with the skid steer. I have a 7,000lb. dual axle 6 x 10 dump trailer with the standard 2ft. sides to which I added PT 2 x 12's to the side rails for additional height. I always heap the loads as much as I can. According to my math, loaded straight across would be 180sqft of wood.......then when I do split it......the pile gets bigger? Right? So, I don't figure it is somewhere around 4 cords.........I know it's usually more..........but who is counting :)

4 cords a day in 22 inch rounds and 2 people would be foolish even if you could pull it off. 8 men running for 5-6 hrs wide open with 2 splitters (460,-2-361's 180 running at once) 32-40 man hours.

I took a few chains to the saw shop recently, for the first and last time. I asked the guy, "Do you take down the rakers?" He said, "No, they don't want us to do that." Whatever that means... When I got home with the chains and looked at them, I discovered that the side plates had been cut at 90* on one chain, and not much less on the other ones. What are those clowns doing, chopping off my chain teeth so I have to buy new chain sooner? Sheesh. I think I'm going to start buying chain by the reel.
I recently picked up a File n' Joint, and that thing has more slop in the slide mechanism than the Oregon with the plastic slide, that I've had for years. It works OK though, and there's other stuff I like about it.
I just started sharpening in the field this year and have had pretty good results. I got one of the bar clamps that you drive into a stump or big round. The little 170 is quick to sharpen and the safety chain stays sharp longer than chisel.
Rainy here today; Might be a good day to sharpen up.
:)

Wow - some of you guys are amazing… I know how hard I had to work to put 7 away - enough to last me the next 2 years. You guys are getting that in a DAY???

Attachments

• DSCN0701a.jpg
    DSCN0701a.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 165
steeltowninwv said:
nope..chain on right...thats almost insulting

In truth I was wondering the same thing . . . just because it would be something I would have done.

Fechmup said:
Wow - some of you guys are amazing… I know how hard I had to work to put 7 away - enough to last me the next 2 years. You guys are getting that in a DAY???

Because I don't care who thinks what. . . .

Nope, NO ONE here is getting 4 cords per man day . . . let alone 7

I feel great when I can get 1 or 2 p/u loads cut,hauled,split & stacked in 6-7 hrs.Depends on how much I find,how big the trees are,whether its already down,how far I have to carry the rounds to the tractor/cart,if ground is firm & not muddy etc.Obviously I'll get more done when its 60 or 70 degrees out than when its 90 with 110 heat index.

I quit worrying about how 'fast' I can be 20 yrs ago.I work until I'm tired & go back another day to finish.

ANY day I'm in the woods is a good day to me,and NOT wasted.If I get just a wheelbarrow load before quitting,thats OK too.It all adds up.

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
Fechmup said:

One is a monster number if your alone. Heck half is a strong day.

smokinjay said:
ISeeDeadBTUs said:
Fechmup said:

I have done a cord in a day by myself before. It ain't easy...and now that I'm ahead it ain't gonna happen again. Two is probably possible if you really went after it for 10-12 hours and didn't have to drive much. There aren't enough hours in the day to get 7.

Are we talking face cord here?

lukem said:
smokinjay said:
ISeeDeadBTUs said:
Fechmup said:

I have done a cord in a day by myself before. It ain't easy...and now that I'm ahead it ain't gonna happen again. Two is probably possible if you really went after it for 10-12 hours and didn't have to drive much. There aren't enough hours in the day to get 7.

Are we talking face cord here?

Boy I hope so. Sure make the 8 man crew we put together (most from the site) Look like a buch of lazy bums.

This could be the best $20-$25 you ever spend.
filingkits2.gif

Just about fool proof and chains will be sharp as new in just a few minutes...on the bar. Tools for the cutters and the rakers in a nice case. I do like to carry a spare just in case I really screw up a chain.

ISeeDeadBTUs said:

4 cords a year would be good going for me when hauling with a barrow........ ;-)

SilverBirch.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.