What am I dealing with here

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NoCompSi

Oct 22, 2014
Ohio
Hello,

New member here. I have a wood burning insert that I'm trying to determine what brand/model it is?

Also, I've attempted to gain access to the two fans which circulate air between the insert and cavity the insert installs into to push heat out into the room. The fans resemble computer/CPU fans, which there are two (one on the left, one on the right) that are very clogged with dust, dirt, animal hair and are not performing. How might I get access to these fans to clean and/or replace? 20141022_115308.jpg 20141022_115319.jpg
20141022_115328.jpg
I've had the fireboards off inside the insert but was unable to find a way to access the fans, please help.

- NoCompSi

There may be some mounting screws for the covers where the fans are. The did you take the doors off, the screws could be in those tracks somewhere. When I had a fireplace like that o was able to look up the fans and motors on the Grainger Website once I got to them. be very careful the plastic fans break easy when cleaning. If you clean the fans and motors up good they will probably be fine. put a couple drops of oil on the motor shafts after you clean and blowout the fan assembly. If you can get the covers off to access the fans, that is a great time to vacuum and clean back there as much as you can. At some point you may want to pull that fireplace out and put a wood stove in front with a proper chimney liner. If you are going to burn wood it's nice to be able to heat an area as well. I started pretty much where you are at four years ago in my present home however I had fireplaces and woodstove in my other homes as well. Good Luck.

Thanks for your thoughts Frank625 - I will remove the doors this evening and see what I can find. I will report back tomorrow with my findings and more pictures of what lies behind should I get stumped again

- NoCompSi

I don't think that is an "insert" Looks more like a prefab fireplace.

I was able to disassemble last night and gain access to the areas I needed to. Thank you for your help, much appreciated!

I was able to disassemble last night and gain access to the areas I needed to. Thank you for your help, much appreciated!
Glad you got to it. Gonna be time to fire that baby up soon. Enjoy the heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.