What are my options with this poplar ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
I have straight, beautiful poplar on a property. I want to get rid of it but don't want all this wood. I have enough hardwood to play with.
I wondering if tree like this has some value, so it can be taken off my hands when dropped.
Here is the picture, I put a wheel barrel next to it, to get an idea ad the tree size

3D1E6CDC-6E04-4EA4-8934-2A1F8C893C66.jpeg

Why's it have to come down?

Why's it have to come down?
It's in the middle of the yard, lots of leaves, and getting bigger and bigger Don't want to fall it on a shed or else.

Are you building a house or an addition on your house anytime soon?

Poplar makes nice moulding if you have a mill nearby with the machines to make it.

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
Hah, no such plans

I have straight, beautiful poplar on a property. I want to get rid of it but don't want all this wood. I have enough hardwood to play with.
I wondering if tree like this has some value, so it can be taken off my hands when dropped.
Here is the picture, I put a wheel barrel next to it, to get an idea ad the tree size

View attachment 278272
Thats a nice poplar.
Better for lumber than firewood.
Contact small local sawmills.
If you can drop it and cut to log lengths I would think they would pick it up and pay for it.

Thats a nice poplar.
Better for lumber than firewood.
Contact small local sawmills.
If you can drop it and cut to log lengths I would think they would pick it up and pay for it.
The answer I was hoping for. :)

Usually hard to get mills interested enough in a yard tree to come pick it up, especially a single poplar...and would be a real miracle to get paid for it too! (yard trees often have metal in them...which ruins expensive mill blades...most mills won't touch a yard tree, no matter the species!)

Reactions: SpaceBus
Usually hard to get mills interested enough in a yard tree to come pick it up, especially a single poplar...and would be a real miracle to get paid for it too! (yard trees often have metal in them...which ruins expensive mill blades...most mills won't touch a yard tree, no matter the species!)
In this case, I will have a lot of poplar to burn. Wish it was oak

In this case, I will have a lot of poplar to burn. Wish it was oak
Sawmills have the metal figured out.
Here's a list

Talk to some mobile sawyers (folks with portable sawmills) and see if they are interested in the work. Some charge by the hour and some charge per board foot.

Reactions: PA Mountain Man
Do you have any use for the lumber? Just want an excuse to buy a chainsaw mill? I have done a lot with a single tulip poplar that came down and Chinese 660 and 100$ Alaskan mill. Mills super easy. Dries FAST. Light enough I can manage an 11’x30”x1.5” slab green by myself. If you want other ideas I have about 9 slabs worth of projects I completed with only a cheap 4” power planer and a belt sander.

If you have easy access, and room to fall it , I’d be content just to make back the removal cost. Even then that might be pushing it. Just a complete guess. It like it for firewood here in the south

Evan.
image.jpg

Do you have any use for the lumber? Just want an excuse to buy a chainsaw mill? I have done a lot with a single tulip poplar that came down and Chinese 660 and 100$ Alaskan mill. Mills super easy. Dries FAST. Light enough I can manage an 11’x30”x1.5” slab green by myself. If you want other ideas I have about 9 slabs worth of projects I completed with only a cheap 4” power planer and a belt sander.

If you have easy access, and room to fall it , I’d be content just to make back the removal cost. Even then that might be pushing it. Just a complete guess. It like it for firewood here in the south

Evan.
View attachment 278278
How was using the hand planer for these projects? Might make a decent excuse to get the dewalt cordless unit! Sometimes I think about one of the benchtop units to straighten and flatten the rough cut 2x's I have.

I have a friend with a sawmill so I keep the good logs for sawing and then leave much of the crowns in the woods as i have far better wood to spend my time on for firewood. its a great interior wood, easy to work and dries quick but useless outdoors as it rots quick unless its under cover. I do not see anyone paying you for it. Then again someone desperate for firewood may grab it if its easy to get to so you can get it out of the yard.

Half the weight, strength, btu, of say sugar maple or beech.
If you let it dry down before hauling, you'll be like iron man heaving those rounds over your head and into the trailer.
They do make some nice beams and mouldings out of it - machines nice, low strength, paintable trim, exposed non structural beams etc. In the old barns here they used raw poplar logs for floor beams/joists because they were straight and long and readily available. Quite a few have sagged or snapped and now shorn up with support beams of 10x10 doug fir, or something stronger. Maybe find a local guy who will cut them into slabs (there's a lot of slabs there) - but can't think of a use other than non structural 2x4s etc. There is a gold mine in that at the moment.

Last edited:
"Usually hard to get mills interested enough in a yard tree to come pick it up, especially a single poplar...and would be a real miracle to get paid for it too! (yard trees often have metal in them...which ruins expensive mill blades...most mills won't touch a yard tree, no matter the species!) "

He is right. That tree might be 70 years old. Fifty years ago some kid might have built a tree house in that tree, and there are a bunch of 16 penny nails, 8 inches inside the tree. Or, long ago someone may have hung a clothes line from that tree using 3 inch screws.
Poplar is not that valuable anyway, it is just not worth it for a sawmill to take a chance on cutting a yard tree.

How was using the hand planer for these projects? Might make a decent excuse to get the dewalt cordless unit! Sometimes I think about one of the benchtop units to straighten and flatten the rough cut 2x's I have.
It’s not the right tool to flatten a slab. If I had time and space I would have built a nice router sled but one that is 13-14’ long and 40+” wide just isn’t worth to me. There is FLAT, flat and flat enough. I shoot for the last one. Plates wobble but cups don’t fall over. I got the cheapest 4” on Amazon and it has been worth all 6500 pennies. It’s really the only way I could get them flat enough and it works. Maybe with some big hand planes after the power plane you could get flatter. I would not choose a battery powered for slabs. I had it running flat out for 40 minutes straight last night. And that only took care of a 10” middle of a 7 foot by 26” at the narrow end... flat enough. That said in the first 15 minutes I was using the planer out of the box I planed right through the power cord.

My dad was looking for an excuse to get a bench top planer and the $200 cheapie has been great for shelves. Run 3 full 9’ slabs through it. What could be easier than green poplar? Careful attention to drying full slabs, like don’t cut them in June in the south and leave one end in the sun would have gone a long way.
Evan

Reactions: SpaceBus