What are your energy costs in your area?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I just looked. I am paying $75.00/Mo for Sling. But we have the orange and blue, Sports package $15.00 will get turned off after wrestling season, News package $5.00 so I can get Science channel, and Lifestyle channel $5.00 wife and daughter watch Hallmark channel. My cable was $110.00 and no Science Channel. Plus my daughter uses it from North Carolina where her husband is stationed at Camp Lejeune. Helps them out a little just starting out.
Basically saving me about $500/ yr

Sling, Fubo, and Philo are no's for specific channels needed @ $20. What am I missing?
Yes but what would you pay for a cable or satellite package with those channels?

at our speeds it don't matter. i don't watch a lot of tv i have 4 other screens most nights.

I already pay way too much for hi speed cable internet 150 +200 MBPS. I just tested it. Came out to 190 down. Way more than the programming.

Perhaps satelite ,but thats pretty pricey too.
Yeah the price is crazy. It is certainly faster but not that much faster. We actually have 3 seperate lines one for the house one for the kids school and one for my wife to work. We only have to pay for one though.

Latency and uploads are a horrible on satellite...
It would still be better than what we have. But not enough to justify the cost.

Reactions: Ssyko
we had direcway for 10 years cost 100 bucks a month for !1gig of data. dsl is better. may be tough to stream a movie but when you go over the 1 gig it cost 20 bucks for another gig. if you go over that you get throttled down slower than dial up

we had direcway for 10 years cost 100 bucks a month for !1gig of data. dsl is better. may be tough to stream a movie but when you go over the 1 gig it cost 20 bucks for another gig. if you go over that you get throttled down slower than dial up

1GB? Ouch!!!

We use between 600 and 700 GB per month. On unlimited internet at 120mbps download speed, we pay $170/month though between internet and TV.

Unlike the US we have no real option to stream actual TV channels, if you want TV we're stuck paying for cable or satellite. Of course we have Netflix, Prime, etc.

We use between 600 and 700 GB per month. On unlimited internet at 120mbps download speed, we pay $170/month though between internet and TV.
Our plan is 2500GB a month at 200 mbps for $102 Theres 4 of us on it with 2 teenagers in cyber school. At times its running hi def streaming on 4 big tvs all at once. So i guess i cant complain,certainly not going back to dial up anytime soon.

Our plan is 2500GB a month at 200 mbps for $102 Theres 4 of us on it with 2 teenagers in cyber school. At times its running hi def streaming on 4 big tvs all at once. So i guess i cant complain,certainly not going back to dial up anytime soon.
We can stream to one tv if no other devices are on that service you get a clear picture. Unless it's raining then it lags. I am so glad the PUC gave verizon all that money to provide every Pennsylvanian with reliable high speed internet. It was clearly money well spent.

I have Spectrum for internet. $75.00/mo. I think it is capped at 120 mbps. I cancelled my cable and went from a ancient RoadRunner Lite plan to standard Spectrum. I think I was at 25Mbps With RRLite and went to 115Mbps and total bill went down $110/ mo. Minus cable but switching to standard Spectrum internet. When I switched they asked if I wanted 250mbps service for a extra $10/mo and I said I would try the basic and it is fine. Plus I am not sure my routers are even good enough to see a advantage of the increase?

I have Spectrum for internet. $75.00/mo. I think it is capped at 120 mbps. I cancelled my cable and went from a ancient RoadRunner Lite plan to standard Spectrum. I think I was at 25Mbps With RRLite and went to 115Mbps and total bill went down $110/ mo. Minus cable but switching to standard Spectrum internet. When I switched they asked if I wanted 250mbps service for a extra $10/mo and I said I would try the basic and it is fine. Plus I am not sure my routers are even good enough to see a advantage of the increase?

I just got Truestream fiber last month. 100 mbps upload/download unlimited for$60/mo. First time I’ve ever had available internet good enough to work from home or stream TV. Summer 2019 I got an iPhone which I could use the hotspot but marginal signal even with an antenna booster. Before that I had dial up which was pretty much worthless but better than nothing.

Some of you have some incredibly cheap electricity. I would be using a modern cold climate heat pump with those prices.

I am using 2 cold climate mini splits to heat my house powered off my net metered solar panels for practically free. My electric bill is just the $9.62 connection charge every month. I have electricity monitors on both my mini splits and electricity usage averages 250-500 kwhs a month in the winter. Thats the total for both units combined. Most of the day when the sun is out my panels are directly powering my mini splits and still sending a ton of excess power back out to the grid.

These units are making incredible advancements in efficiency even in extreme cold. This LG has a COP (coefficient of performance) of 2.88 even at 5 degrees. That's an effective efficiency of 288%!

This is where the future is heading as heat pumps can be powered from renewable energy such as solar, hydro, wind, etc.