What counts as a "closed" window?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gregz

Hearth Supporter
Nov 2, 2008
Pennsylvania
Hello!

I am still in the planning stage of my Big E install. I am stuck on the vent options.

I am planning on installing the stove between two tall old windows.

If I run the vent exhaust between the windows (1st Floor to 2nd floor) I am within the 4 feet needed to a window rule.
If I choose to go this route I will need to upgrade to 4 inch pipe due to length/bends.

The windows that are within question have an outside window frame that has been painted sealed shut for many many years.
This (I guess) was added 100 years ago to help with the cold.
In the summer the whole outside frame/glass window can be removed and screens would be added.

On the one side it is in place (right), on the other I am rebuilding to add/caulk/seal shut.

Would this count as a "closed" window? If so, how close can the vent be?
I need to run up to around 8 feet which would close to the tops of the 1st floor window.

Any ideas?
Thanks!!
Greg

Attachments

• DSC00036 (Medium).JPG
    DSC00036 (Medium).JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 299
Put a nail or 2 in the sill and frame and call it good in my opinion.

Id say it depends on your local building inspector. Some would consider a window a window as long as it has the ability to be returned to serviceable condition.
If it isnt gonna cost you a ton more I'd be tempted to go the "right way" route.

Status
Not open for further replies.