What do guys use to clean out the clean out? I have no cleanout!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CHeath

Feeling the Heat
Feb 18, 2013
Northwest NorthCarolina Mtns
My basement chimney has no cleanout. If I want to sweep and clean I have to remove the stove pipe and shop vac the stuff out. Is there a way to install a clean out?

thx

image-jpg.95319

Last edited:
My basement chimney has no cleanout. If I want to sweep and clean I have to remove the stove pipe and shop vac the stuff out. Is there a way to install a clean out?
Possibly does the chimney extend down past the crock? Regardless you will still need to remove the pipe to clean it though

image-jpg.95319
That stove is not there anymore but a new one will be soon just like it. With a 45* angle pipe this time of course.

It's not uncommon to have no cleanout. I don't see it as a problem at all. Like was mentioned, the pipe needs taken down and cleaned when the chimbey gets swept anyway.