What do I have? Fisher fireplace insert ID help needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mrjismail

Feb 3, 2018
Sedona, az
I just recently moved into this house that has this beautiful Fisher fireplace insert installed. I have been unable to match it to any other insert I see on the internet when I search for Fisher fireplace inserts. The top is a approximately 24 in. across.

1517677541912.jpg
1517677780530.jpg
It has glass doors and appears to be nickel-plated on the trim. It also has a separate blower assembly and a trim kit that is around the entire unit. Can someone tell me what model this would be and when it was made and if it has any collectible value?

Fisher Fireplace Insert. They had no name other than that. Yours has the brass and glass options and the blower. Around here inserts do go for much, maybe a few hundred dollars. The blower and trim make it worth more.

Thanks, is it a 80's model? I can't seem to find any pictures on the web that show it. Most of the similar ones I see have a rounded bottom shelf not a square one like mine has.

First, it's a Honey Bear Insert with Series IV glass doors.
There were "Fisher Fireplace Inserts", Honey Bear, Cub Bear, Polar Bear (for manufactured zero clearance fireplaces) Tech IV and TF-88 "Flame" Insert. So they certainly do have names.

This model was tested by Warnock Hersey and should have a testing label on the side behind the front enclosure. Usually on the right side.
There should be some pictured on this Forum using the search feature at top. If not, there is now;

Honey Bear insert Ohio 1.jpg Honey Bear Insert Ohio 2.jpg Honey Bear Insert Ohio 3.jpg Honey Bear Insert Ohio 4.jpg

Sorry I don't have abetter picture of a tag.
The way to tell a Honey Bear at a glance is the ash fender. Notice it is a flat piece of steel with square corners. Regular Inserts with no Bear name have a rounded fender with 1 inch channel iron trim around the edge as shown below;

Insert w blower brick ebay.jpg

Here is the difference in glass opening of a Honey Bear Series III with smaller glass.

Honey Bear Insert Front.jpg This was an early glass design, you have the latest. The tag should have manufacture date on it and will be late 80's just before production ended in '88.

It is worth far more than a regular Insert which are very common. It is also worth much more if the tag is intact allowing it to be used legally in all but CA, WA and OR. I'd say the Tech IV and TF-88 are the only Inserts worth more.
Inserts are a problem for collectors since they don't display well without installing into a hearth. This model would be the one to have to fill out a collection to include a rare Insert.

I can't imagine not using it, so if you do, make sure it is connected to a chimney liner all the way to the top. That is code nationally. Remove the upper front cover to be able to see the connection. It should be a shiny stainless steel tube going up the chimney. It should NOT look like the one pictured above slid into place venting up the existing chimney with a direct connected liner. A 'boot" is used at the appliance connection.
The blower is a Fisher accessory worth more than a regular entire Insert for sure.

It appears to be "Brass and Glass" and should have polished edges on the side draft caps if they are solid brass. Normal caps were aluminum.

The brass spring handle on the right where plating is worn off is still available at Woodman's Parts Plus.

If this was on the East Coast, I'd be making an offer for sure.

wow, thanks for the information! Is the plating on the front nickel? That is what it looks like, not really a brassy color. My wife isnt really keen on the insert so I may have to sell it and put up plain glass doors on the fireplace. :(

What would be a good asking price for the entire setup I have?

And get rid of the fireplace grate inside it. That is not to be used in a Fireplace insert. For longer duration fires you burn on at least 1 inch of ash on the bottom. It is for open fireplace burning which is a waste. Don't expect to get much heat out of it without an insert installed.

Price depends on a UL label since only listed appliances can be legally used in most states. Without that, you need to find someone willing to install it illegally. So there should be a huge price difference if it has a UL tag.There is no book price, only what buyer and seller agree upon.
Prices are seasonal with now being the lowest. Fall, before winter is what to wait for.

The mantle, if there is one above fireplace opening is not shown in your picture, so if it is combustible there needs to be a divertor across the top which covers the 3 ugly screws or whatever they are in your pics.

11-2011 ebay $1018-2.jpg This is the missing divertor shown on a Series III painted to look like brass.

Nickel will be silver in color, brass gold in color. It looks brass in the pictures, but that could be a reflection. Nickel looks more like chrome. Chrome is not used on stoves since it peels easily with heat. Nickel hardens with heat. (chrome is actually nickel plate with chromium plating over it) So oven racks are nickel plated and gives you an idea how hard it gets and wears very well. ONLY polish with metal polish for precious metals listed on product as silver, gold, brass, nickel....... I use Maas Metal Polish which leaves a protective film.

You're not going to find a better looking classic Insert than what you have.

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink