What do you burn in southern Colorado

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidV

Nov 20, 2005
Richmond VA
My brother is building his retirement home in southern colorado. From the pictures I've seen it's beautiful, but not a lot of trees. Just scrub brush etc. What do you folks in that region burn in your stoves? Reason I'm asking he intends to put some kind of stove in and doesn't know a lot about it. There is no power grid where he is building so the place has to be completely self sufficient. I was thinking freestanding stove since you don't want to rely on anything that needs a blower.
David

Colorado is a great place for solar, if he wants to consider that option as well.

He's building that in but I'm sure that on those long cold winter nights, followed by whiteout winter days, you don't want to be relieing on solar charged batteries to run the blower on your stove.

hope that doesn't sound smart ass. maybe you meant "earth ship" type solar.... biomass, etc. He definately wants to be green but the last thing you ever want to be is cold. would it make sense to consider a wood/coal stove? IS it mostly pine that's burned there?

Status
Not open for further replies.