What do you feed your Harman P Series

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iron stove

Minister of Fire
Sep 14, 2009
Central CT
Being the new owner of a P-43, and since I will be buying pellets with spring buy programs, What does your Harman P Series stove prefer in the Premium brands of pellets.

I was told by dealer short is good, and they can literally digest anything.

j-takeman said:
Congrats iron stove! When ya get her all hooked up snap us a few pictures! :)

I will. Im running the old iron for the next few weeks, mainly at night, but am picking up the Harman next week or two. I should have it all hooked up some time in May.

You should be fine with the P43. I have 2 in the family a P38 and a P43. There owners are pickier than the stove on fuel. My sis called and said her P43 wasn't throwing much heat one day. I stopped over only to find her BF had picked up some ACP's. Stove was eating them fine but little heat. I replaced them with some Hamers and she roasted the rest of the winter! You'd be surprised what they can eat, But like any other stove it will like the cleaner/hotter pellets, Or should I say you will because it will stay cleaner and produce more heat.

Keep us posted and enjoy the new toy! :)

My P68 loves the Turmans, but they are more a medium pellet, not short. I picked up 10 bags of the Okies recently and those worked out very well. They are a short pellet. While your stove can burn anything, you will enjoy your stove much more if you don't have to constantly clean it. I burned NEWPs last year, very ashy, and I was relieved to see the end of the heating season. This year I burned mostly Turman and Barefoot, and I am not sick of cleaning the stove yet, becaue I didn't have to do it as much. If you can squeeze in some trial burning before you commit to a few tons, that would be good. Hard to do this time of year. Good luck!

My p61 will burn just about antthing. I will say I have had better luck with a decent hardwood pellet. Last season I tried Northern pellets and my stove really liked them.

My Harman P-38 like the cubex. Hve burned the New England but like the cubex more.

Has anybody had any Fines issue with Hamers and the fine trap in the stove ? The hammers I bough this year sure seemed to have a lot of saw dust in the bags, and I did handle the bags gently, and only bough full tons. They were easiely the dustiest of all brands I tried, But i have a great source for Hammers.

CJ-SR4ever said:
My Harman P-38 like the cubex. Hve burned the New England but like the cubex more.

Never tried Cubex before, but will look at them.

DISCLAIMER: I SELL HARMAN STOVES as well as PELLETS

fortunately, the Harman will burn almost anything, including the fines. Many pellets in your area are frankly marginally different, maybe not so different even that you would notice. Okies, Turmans, NWP's, Cubex, Hamer, etc...all should burn fine for you......couple to stay away from ACP, Infernals........they will even burn, but with a (possibly) diminished heat. Dont lose too much sleep worrying about the fuel....the best advice I can give is to get it now! I know there's folks here who might be "set for a couple years" etc, but that isnt you. Im a bit leery of what this year has to bring pellet-wise given the prices of fuel these days.....IMHO, you are seeing the lowest prices right now, and those will likely change VERY SOON!

Lousyweather said:
IMHO, you are seeing the lowest prices right now, and those will likely change VERY SOON!

I get that "2008" feeling all over again. Low fiber supply/mills in slow down mode/Higher oil prices are only the start of it. I suspect stove sales to take off and more demand on fuel than the supply can really handle. The painted picture doesn't look very pretty.

It doesn't look bad right now peeps, But mark our words. Something is going to hit the fan! I sure hope your all listening!

I wonder how many cries we will hear come fall? :red:

j-takeman said:
Lousyweather said:
IMHO, you are seeing the lowest prices right now, and those will likely change VERY SOON!

I get that "2008" feeling all over again. Low fiber supply/mills in slow down mode/Higher oil prices are only the start of it. I suspect stove sales to take off and more demand on fuel than the supply can really handle. The painted picture doesn't look very pretty.

It doesn't look bad right now peeps, But mark our words. Something is going to hit the fan! I sure hope your all listening!

We will hear plenty of crying and you can count on that. We are headed for $4 a gallon gas here in the NE very soon and pellets will follow the trend.

Harman Lover 007 said:
j-takeman said:
Lousyweather said:

We will hear plenty of crying and you can count on that. We are headed for $4 a gallon gas here in the NE very soon and pellets will follow the trend.

Until the $4/gal gas crashes the economy again and prices plummet back down one more time. Businesses are just now starting to increase hiring, the economy is to fragile formprices tongi up more and stay there- at least with gas anyway.

Also for every plant with a fiber shortage there is another one that is humming right along, there are more plants now and more pellets on hand than there was in 2008. I could be wrong, just how I see it.

P61 will eat anything just a matter of how much you want to clean. In order of preference...

Barefoot... hot, clean, low fines
Vermont... hot, clean
Okies... hot, clean, mine had more fines than other Super Prems
LG Granuals... clean, burned quicker than others
NEWP... more ash, good heat, haven't used in mid winter yet
Michigans... lots of heavy ash, low fines, lowish heat, used alot more of these for the same heat as others

Going with cubex next year!

diesel has been over $4 for 2 months now. Diesel is what delivers pellets. And everything else for that matter. Hold onto your hats boys.

mascoma said:
P61 will eat anything just a matter of how much you want to clean. In order of preference...

Barefoot... hot, clean, low fines
Vermont... hot, clean
Okies... hot, clean, mine had more fines than other Super Prems
LG Granuals... clean, burned quicker than others
NEWP... more ash, good heat, haven't used in mid winter yet
Michigans... lots of heavy ash, low fines, lowish heat, used alot more of these for the same heat as others

Going with cubex next year!

I agree with your list although there are a few brands we just don't have up here. Bareffots being one, knows and Michigans we don't see either. Vermont's are hot and clean but they seem to burn really fast in my P61 and I tried a bunch of different settings. NEWPs also burn ok, more ash and carbon buildup but I also have not burned them in mid winter.

So far the pellet that seems to work best is hardwood- at least for me. I really liked the Northerns, which I believe are the same as Cubex just in a different bag.

All that being said, it really is true that it will burn anything. Keep in mind though if you get a lower grade pellet you will just be cleaning more. Last season I burned Maine Woods and while the heat was good they were ashy. I was cleaning every 7-10 days and emptying the ash pan every 25-30 bags burned. That was last years batch of MWP, I have heard good things about this years though.

Michigans showed up in 2008 instead of NEWP because they could not fill all the orders... It was all I could get, and they were $50 ton cheaper than everything else that year.

Never noticed vermonts burning up quick but I did have an issue with them not feeding in hopper properly. Woke up one morning, stove off, hopper still full except 3 inch hole all the way down thru to bottom, pellets still stacked all the way around. Never happened with any other brand.

Yeah, I have noticed they don't like to slide down the hopper much either, kinda weird.

Lousyweather said:
DISCLAIMER: I SELL HARMAN STOVES as well as PELLETS

fortunately, the Harman will burn almost anything, including the fines. Many pellets in your area are frankly marginally different, maybe not so different even that you would notice. Okies, Turmans, NWP's, Cubex, Hamer, etc...all should burn fine for you......couple to stay away from ACP, Infernals........they will even burn, but with a (possibly) diminished heat. Dont lose too much sleep worrying about the fuel....the best advice I can give is to get it now! I know there's folks here who might be "set for a couple years" etc, but that isnt you. Im a bit leery of what this year has to bring pellet-wise given the prices of fuel these days.....IMHO, you are seeing the lowest prices right now, and those will likely change VERY SOON!

Thanks for the input. A Fines trap is new to mee, and wasnt sure how that would effect performance.

Mark my words, Chevy HD will be hauling pellets any day now.

Harman Lover 007 said:
j-takeman said:
Lousyweather said:

Got My 9 tons of pellets and just picked up a Englander 30-NC with all flue and needed accessories yesterday. And all the Free wood I can gather.

Pellet Stove................check!
Pellet Furnace.............check!
Big A$$ Woodstove.....check! I can't wait!!!!

Bigjim13 said:
Harman Lover 007 said:
j-takeman said:
Lousyweather said:

Until the $4/gal gas crashes the economy again and prices plummet back down one more time. Businesses are just now starting to increase hiring, the economy is to fragile formprices tongi up more and stay there- at least with gas anyway.

Also for every plant with a fiber shortage there is another one that is humming right along, there are more plants now and more pellets on hand than there was in 2008. I could be wrong, just how I see it.

We are just messengers spreading the word of warning. Whether or not people listen isn't up to us.

I see the well know pellets being scarce by fall, There will be fuel available but it may not be what you wanted and for the price we are seeing now. I see chipped log brands taking up the slack of what the usual brands can't provide. Even though the BC softwoods don't have a fiber issue, They also might be scarce as the fuel will stay local and not make its way to us on the east coast.

One other note is oil futures have a large effect on its price. The economic factor plays a roll. But if futures are strong, I don't see it loosing ground.

I am ready, Are you?

j-takeman said:
Bigjim13 said:
Harman Lover 007 said:
j-takeman said:
Lousyweather said:

We are just messengers spreading the word of warning. Whether or not people listen isn't up to us.

I see the well know pellets being scarce by fall, There will be fuel available but it may not be what you wanted and for the price we are seeing now. I see chipped log brands taking up the slack of what the usual brands can't provide. Even though the BC softwoods don't have a fiber issue, They also might be scarce as the fuel will stay local and not make its way to us on the east coast.

One other note is oil futures have a large effect on its price. The economic factor plays a roll. But if futures are strong, I don't see it loosing ground.

I am ready, Are you?

no, Jay, Im not ready. Being in the business, I hope that all who can afford it procure product now, and I can say it until I am blue in the face, but all too often its shrugged off to my "ulterior motives" of being provocative and trying to sell product by building the fears of others. Through contracts, planning, we can only procure so much product, when its gone, its gone. Unfortunately, we arent a pellet manufacturer (or maybe fortunately), and at some point these rising fuel prices WILL cause the price to increase. What I alluded to above is that I feel these increases will be quite soon. We are still selling stoves, selling pellets at a much increased rate over this time last year, so I have to feel some folks are "seeing the elephant" as well. I also feel I must re-iterate that in buying pellets try to buy them for fairly soon pickup or delivery. Buying pellets now for fall I feel will be a folly this year. If the retailer actually has the inventory on the ground to cover ALL of their sales, then good, but if not, its a gamble. If they run out, the BEST you can hope for is a return of your money, which you will then have to go and use up 9and then some!), to procure fuel from another supplier, at a (likely) much greater cost.

Assuming a mill had an unlimited supply of fiber (doesnt happen), they still only have a set amount of driers, etc to actually MAKE the pellet- only 24 hous in a day! And then there is the trucking....the pellets have to get from the mill to the retailer....if fuel is expensive, so wont be the trucking....logistics certainly plays a factor here. Whats the downside to buying now?

Well, off of my soapbox!

Lousyweather said:
j-takeman said:
Bigjim13 said:
Harman Lover 007 said:
j-takeman said:
Lousyweather" date="1302535329 said:

I am ready, Are you?

no, Jay, Im not ready. Being in the business, I hope that all who can afford it procure product now, and I can say it until I am blue in the face, but all too often its shrugged off to my "ulterior motives" of being provocative and trying to sell product by building the fears of others. Through contracts, planning, we can only procure so much product, when its gone, its gone. Unfortunately, we arent a pellet manufacturer (or maybe fortunately), and at some point these rising fuel prices WILL cause the price to increase. What I alluded to above is that I feel these increases will be quite soon. We are still selling stoves, selling pellets at a much increased rate over this time last year, so I have to feel some folks are "seeing the elephant" as well. I also feel I must re-iterate that in buying pellets try to buy them for fairly soon pickup or delivery. Buying pellets now for fall I feel will be a folly this year. If the retailer actually has the inventory on the ground to cover ALL of their sales, then good, but if not, its a gamble. If they run out, the BEST you can hope for is a return of your money, which you will then have to go and use up 9and then some!), to procure fuel from another supplier, at a (likely) much greater cost.

Assuming a mill had an unlimited supply of fiber (doesnt happen), they still only have a set amount of driers, etc to actually MAKE the pellet- only 24 hous in a day! And then there is the trucking....the pellets have to get from the mill to the retailer....if fuel is expensive, so wont be the trucking....logistics certainly plays a factor here. Whats the downside to buying now?

Well, off of my soapbox!

I have no “ulterior motives†and I doubt they are listening to me either. 11 plus years of watching this stuff, I have learned a few things. I don't like what I see.

As a retailer you might want to procure a chipped log pellet maker. I see these as the only steady supply(if they can handle the extra volume). I might be wrong, But it's a safe bet. I'm pretty sure that's why a local pellet house has added Geneva's product to the line-up they carry.

I plan on buying what I can now, but have learned that trying to predict what the price of oil is going to do is folly. All I have to go on is what I have seen in the past, the last time oil spiked it crashed our economy and in a matter of months oil plummeted again. I'm not trying to knock anybody's opinion or accuse people of claiming that the sky is falling, so hopefully nobody feels that way about my comments and I don't think any of the info given is with ulterior motives. I am just putting in my $.02.

I'm not trying to predict oil prices.
I started in 2008 and this is the cheapest I have seen for Super Premiums Pre buy. Yes oil crashed after the last run up but even buying pellets high, and oil low, I still saved money with pellets.
I'm loading up, worst thing that happens is they sit in my garage for an extra year or 2 while I burn cheap oil. yeah right.

Even with conservative conversions (100gal/ton) I would have to see heating oil (local cash price $3.69) fall by close to 30% to match pellet prices and with more standard conversion factors (120gal/ton) oil would have to fall by almost 50%.

My Accentura will burn anything. On the other hand, my P-38 is somewhat particular. It I burn pellets any longer than 1.75 inches, the pellets bridge in the hopper and will not feed into the auger.

Status
Not open for further replies.