What do you guys think?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
I've got a pile of fresh split oak the pile is 40 feet long about 12 to 15 feet wide and about 7 feet tall.The trees were felled a year ago and now all is split,I will not be able to get it stacked this year,so I was thinking about covering the top and halfway down the sides with black plastic until I can get it all stacked spring of 2017. Provided we're still here?Will I suffer any varying degrees of rot within the center of this very large pile. The area is partially shaded . Thanks

Wow. Thats a serious pile of wood. You will probably have some rot on the bottom of the pile. The wood that is in direct contact with the ground will begin to rot but not necessarily become useless between now and the spring. If you can get that off the ground that would be great. My advice would be to pick away at the pile little by litttle. Stacking what you can, when you can. Honestly a lot of that wood will season nicely in an ugly pile like that bit you will lose some and some will not season much at all. Stacking helps create a uniformity in seasoning. Maybe others have better input but that's my experience.

I think that's a good call covering just the top of the pile - trying to keep too much more moisture from accumulating in the center of the pile where it would be more prone to rotting. I do that often with piles that I can't get to stacking for one reason or another. I like the beer/stacking party tho.

Chalk it up to needing an exercise routine and not a task that requires time and you'll have that wood stacked before it gets cold.

If its going to sit out a while, I leave mine uncovered until I stack it. Oak won't rot all that much, more air flow is better.

If its going to sit out a while, I leave mine uncovered until I stack it. Oak won't rot all that much, more air flow is better.
Agreed I leave mine split on the ground till I have time to stack it, not even covered and never had a problem with rotting.

Agreed I leave mine split on the ground till I have time to stack it, not even covered and never had a problem with rotting.
I measured the pile yesterday,37 feet,long,about average height 6- 7 feet and average width 12 feet.It's an intimidating pile was twice that size but the guy who brought the wood took his over the weekend. Eight dump trucks ,12 feet long,7 wide and stacked about 5feet deep.

Reactions: Soundchasm
I would just try and work at what you can. You could always get some high school kids to stack as well might not be the best job but will help. Where are you located in northeast Ohio, I'm in Kirtland, we might be almost neighbors. The weekend stack idea is not a bad idea, you and a few guys could get a lot accomplished. Save the keg till after its stacked!

Status
Not open for further replies.