What do you pay for cord?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Around here it's $150 to $200 for mixed hardwood

Around here it's $150 to $200 for mixed hardwood
That is so nice. Around here it is $300-400/cord depending on the wood mix and degree of seasoning. Seasoned hardwood (apple, madrona) is going for $450+ right now.

Wow, still cheaper than my alternative which is propane, and I would spend that per/month, so still on the plus side.

That is so nice. Around here it is $300-400/cord depending on the wood mix and degree of seasoning. Seasoned hardwood (apple, madrona) is going for $450+ right now.
If it's actually seasoned it is more but that's very rare.

Yes you'd have to specify moisture content (as "years seasoned" is not checkable and often a lie).

I pay zip for a cord of green red oak. Tree companies here have to pay to dispose of wood. Occasionally Craigslist has ads for a 10 yard truck of logs (mostly maple, oak, black locust, cherry here) delivered with $150 or so. I.e. you get paid to take logs.

When I buy a load of logs it's between 600 and 700. They are usually around 10 cords.

Ads for firewood in and around the Madison area are asking $300-$500 for a full "cord" of firewood, includes delivery. I never take into account how seasoned the wood is because I know it isn't ready to burn. For me personally, my wood costs are $0. I get logs dropped off by the tree companies, I scrounge around the neighborhood (2021 thus far has been a banner year for me for getting wood literally in my backyard! Everyone and their cousin this summer decided to get a tree taken down!), and finally if I am really wanting a specific type of tree that the tree guys haven't given me I go logging on one my in laws properties.

I don't buy wood but around here it's typically $150 for almost any kind or $200 for hedge. You also get the guys selling for $100-125 for a full cord, then when you message it's really only a face. They claim seasoned most the time, but from what I've seen that typically means cutting towards the end of one season for the next season.
I've got plenty of wood to cut on myself and my neighbors when he's thinning them out.

I rarely buy wood that is cut and split already. But occasionally I find a great deal on some so I will pick it up. Last year there was a guy selling split hickory for $100 a load. I asked him how much for a dump trailer load and he said same price so I got 3 14' dump trailer loads for $300. No way I could pass that up. It was about 5 cords total.

$175 for a mix of doug/red fir and tamarack in rounds and halves delivered. Well under local market that's more like 200-250 without delivery. After I split an stack it's a good bit over a cord tho and almost all of it is between 16-18%

Wood guy doesn't advertise, doesn't need to.

Mixed hardwood here is around $300-$350 per cord, but I have never purchased any. That is just what it is listed for on Craigslist.

I am not sure I would be burning wood if I were paying that much.

$220 / cord for green mixed hardwoods - mostly oak - delivered on the driveway. Comes from a landscape company that does small tree work and I think sell it just to recoup some money for keeping the guys employed on slow days / off season. This is pretty cheap around here north of Boston. Most places would charge around $400 for supposedly seasoned wood.

It sell for about 300 canadian plastic dollars here.

• Haha
Reactions: FlyFish'n
$120 per cord if you pick up yourself. $150-$200 if delivered. That's pretty much always oak and hickory around here.

Last edited:
Wood here ranges from 250 to 400 a cord for pine.oak and birch are 350 to 400.i get a permit to cut 5 cords.cost for that and gas for the saw and truck run me about 300.im retired so it keeps me busy every fall.99% pine around here.if you happen to find birch you better cut it now as you turn your head and it will be gone.

By me for a cord of split mixed hardwood that the dealer calls "seasoned" delivered locally is in the $175-$225 range.

$150/cord split and delivered.

I buy 5 cords at the end of every season. Local tree companies here keep a splitting business on the side.

I pay nothing for firewood beyond gas for the truck, saws, splitter and maintenance. I find most of it along roadsides where crews clear trees and leave it for the scavengers. Just scored over 2 cords of premium locust about 10 miles from the house and there's still another cord or two left, after lots of other people took some as well. I know it's a lot of work but it's good exercise and I'm cheap.