What happened to winter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
It's warm in the east, but comparatively hot at the poles. Local daily weather however does not reflect global climate. Having the Bering sea ice melt this early in the year is not a trivial thing. When we lose snow caps in the north, we lose the heat reflectivity of the snow. The earth soaks up more warmth in places that are not good to warm.

+43F today less than 500 miles from the North Pole. This is happening during the polar night in the absence of sunlight. Definitely not good. This should be the coldest time of the year there.
Screen Shot 2018-02-26 at 6.40.35 PM.png

This weather is crazy.... Getting hit with rain and wind, and it is going to turn to snow in the afternoon. Kinda fun.

I think there's probably 8" of new winter this morning.

I planted peas yesterday, lol.

Reactions: vinny11950
Somewhere below all the colors is New York and Long Island. The radar this morning has everything - snow, sleet, rain and some colors I don't understand.

radar.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s still winter up here in NW Wisconsin, I’m still burning every day and the lake I live in hasn’t begun to melt yet. The forecasted low for this coming weekend is 5 for Saturday night and 10 for Sunday. Cold for April.

We've been shoulder season burning all month with cooler than average temps for March.

8 degrees this morning after 5 inches of snow? This is April?

No mosquitoes either (yet) :cool:

We had some mosquitos out, during that freakish warm spell in February. I’m hoping this cold snowy March (and now two snowstorms in April!) are going to kill the bastards. My bats are fat enough, and need to devote their appetite toward Lanternfly, anyway.

It feels like February and March/April so far, switched places. It was windy and cold this morning.

We had some mosquitos out, during that freakish warm spell in February. I’m hoping this cold snowy March (and now two snowstorms in April!) are going to kill the bastards. My bats are fat enough, and need to devote their appetite toward Lanternfly, anyway.

I gotta get me some bats in my yard to clean up the mosquitoes.

10 degrees this AM. Gonna get a little snow. Gotta pay for that easy February...

snow here also but warmer for now 32, crummy weekend headed are way also

Winter is back in NY. Nights in the 20's and days aren't that warm either.

So ready for summer.

I would settle for mild 50s and 60s, low humidity...

This morning it was 37, windy and rainy. It felt worse than being in 25 degree weather.

Reactions: sportbikerider78
Couple of inches of snow last night . . . now 48 degrees and all gone. Still working on those snow banks, woods and my backyard which is all ledge.

87 F here this afternoon. I am done burning for this season. Cleaned up the stove room and will do chimneys first week of May.
Wow, you have polevaulted into summer. How long did spring last there, a week?

80F today. Weird, as it was snowing a few days ago. With Sunday a forecast washout, I took today off, and put down 32 yards of mulch.