What happened to winter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
80F today. Weird, as it was snowing a few days ago. With Sunday a forecast washout, I took today off, and put down 32 yards of mulch.

It really doesn't should like you took the day off,lol

True dat. Got 30 yards moved Friday, 20 Saturday, and I’m back at it today. It’s going to be a 100+ yard year.

I started pushing leaves up under the bushes in the fall. Come spring, they've broken down a bunch and only need a light cover of mulch to complete landscaping. Lots less work!

Reactions: vinny11950
Yeah, I do the same, excepting the areas with walnuts. Established gardens only get an inch or two, on top of established mulch and broken-down leaves. New gardens get 2-3 inches. I’m filling over 3/4 acres of flower and shrub gardens, though.

Wisconsin got slammed this past weekend. I got 4 inches of the wettest cement-like snow I've ever seen. Family's vehicles got stuck in the ditch of my driveway, had to call a wrecker. I can't imaging being in Green Bay/Door County, they got 23+.

Wisconsin got slammed this past weekend. I got 4 inches of the wettest cement-like snow I've ever seen. Family's vehicles got stuck in the ditch of my driveway, had to call a wrecker. I can't imaging being in Green Bay/Door County, they got 23+.

It sure looked bad on the news.

By me it got cold again. I am not sure what to expect anymore since the temps swing so widely. Still burning pellets at night as it is getting into the mid 30s.

Out like a lamb, my ass...

Yep, Mother Nature slapped us pretty good. Not that far from you Tadmaz, a bit west of Lomira. . Picture from Saturday, there is a treeline about the middle of pic apx 600 yards out. Due to the wind direction I had 3 ft drifts of semi set cement from the house tapering to 6" out the mail boxes. I have no idea what the total was for our area but there was a good 1/4" of ice at the bottom of the mess. Other pic is out the back when things were a bit quieter, tree lne back there apx 350 yards out. Lost power for a bit as well. Cell phone pics.

Attachments

• 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    27 KB · Views: 203
  • 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 221
Snowed all day here. No accumulation with a warm ground.

Looks like 50s this weekend but still temps at night in the 20s and 30s.

We had a snow squall yesterday afternoon, which is very unusual for us. I should be outside in nothing more than a windbreaker, by mid-April, not snow gear.

Yep, Mother Nature slapped us pretty good. Not that far from you Tadmaz, a bit west of Lomira. . Picture from Saturday, there is a treeline about the middle of pic apx 600 yards out. Due to the wind direction I had 3 ft drifts of semi set cement from the house tapering to 6" out the mail boxes. I have no idea what the total was for our area but there was a good 1/4" of ice at the bottom of the mess. Other pic is out the back when things were a bit quieter, tree lne back there apx 350 yards out. Lost power for a bit as well. Cell phone pics.
Yea, we're getting one last round of snow today too! I think the drifting and snow totals were a bit higher in Lomira versus by me. Lomira is about a 30 minute drive up 41. Power was out for 2 hours.

I remember it being at least briefly cold enough to run both stoves simultaneously in June, when I bought my Ashfords (2014?). I hope this isn’t another one of those years.

Wisconsin got one last, and pretty, snowfall.

Attachments

• IMG956926.jpg
    IMG956926.jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG956925.jpg
    IMG956925.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 172
Reactions: vinny11950
no wind to speak of Wed. but still could not see the tree lines for a goodly portion of the afternoon. about 5" by me where the lite breeze could not get at it.
it will be a couple hours worth this evening with the tractor bucket to clear the back drive from these last 2 storms so the propane co. can get in, and that's going to hurt $$$$$$

Must have been he'll 70 years ago in the UK. Good thing they had global cooling in the 70s.

Reactions: Ashful
Earth has normal cycles - flim flam artists use it to garner greenbacks - covers entire subject.

Yes, time to warm up. We've had a La Niña winter. FWIW, local weather is not the same as global climate. Hottest day in 70 yrs in the UK today.
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-43808111

Exactly. And remember, every time one is complaining about their “hottest since” or “coldest since” current season, it was even hotter or colder way back in “since”.

walking to school ( pre bussing days ) gets longer every year ( its really long now as the school building no longer exists);)

2 inches here. Snowed on and off for the last 3 days with 29-35F temps. This sucks.

Yes... Usually by now I can open the windows and smell the spring in the air. This morning I opened them, and it was a cold, biting wind. Shut them right away.