What hydraulic fluid has to be added to original fluid of TSC County Line 22

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
I had a leak from filter of my splitter and now my fluid is on borderline low. Seem clear and ok. I started to do research and got overwhelmed with options and opinions. There is a label on splitter you can see below.

Is this one good? https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/FCT85401

Attachments

• BE607C1C-0A54-4ECF-B733-EC56E427FF76.jpeg
    BE607C1C-0A54-4ECF-B733-EC56E427FF76.jpeg
    98.5 KB · Views: 714
  • 56793982-720C-4148-BE77-5BAB4349EB78.png
    56793982-720C-4148-BE77-5BAB4349EB78.png
    1,014.8 KB · Views: 341
For a splitter you can use pretty much any oil,it is a very basic system.
Use ATF or Hydraulic oil.even power steering oil is similar.
I mix various oils in the hydraulic systems of heavy equipment for various reasons,mostly i use AW32 mixed with ATF for the red color.Makes it easier to see in a sandblasted site-glass.
For my splitter i run it on synthetic ATF,it sits outside till i need it. I can start it at -20C without ant trouble with the synthetic ATF.

Reactions: Dmitry
Many people overthink Hydraulic fluid. As salecker said it does a very basic job of moving objects in the system, not so much lubricating things as in a motor. Most any basic Hyd. oil will be fine.

Reactions: Dmitry
I use Dextron 2 in mine it is what is recommend
and does not cost an arm and a leg

Like the others said it's very basic for use in a splitter. You're not protecting a sensitive multi thousand dollar hydro system.

AW32 would be a common hydro juice for your splitter. The stuff you are looking at is a multi viscosity, but you won’t hurt anything by using it. Especially if you are just topping it off.

The big thing to watch for in hydro juice is compatibility. You don’t want to put anything in it that won’t play nice with what is already there. This is NOT the issue with the stuff you are looking at, just pointing out potential pitfalls of mixing fluids.

I've never changed the hydro oil or filter in 10 years. I only put 16 hours or so a year on it. I do the engine oil every year.

What are you guys doing? Anyone changing it?

I've never changed the hydro oil or filter in 10 years. I only put 16 hours or so a year on it. I do the engine oil every year.

What are you guys doing? Anyone changing it?
From research I’ve done most people don’t change it , unless threre is a water in it . And changing filter every 100 hours

I have had good luck with ATF in ariens 27 ton and a Troy bilt 27 ton.
As others have said they are basic systems and are all very similar.
The filters can come loose with the vibration. Always a good idea to check it is hand tight once in a while

My 27T Troy Built Manual says approved fluids are Dextron III/Mercon ATF, or a 10 Weight AW Hydraulic Oil.

Do those three mix together ok - like if its filled with AW Oil and I top off with Dextron?

From What I read AW32 is a 10 weight equivalent, correct?

Last edited:
The only time I have ever heard of a problem could be by mixing a Synthetic with natural oils. since you are not mixing in a synthetic all you are doing is making a multi viscosity blend.