What I have accomplished so far, before even putting the furnace in

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Keeping the Wife happy is a big part of most Mens life. The pellet stove paid for itself in about a yr. Spent almost $4,000 on stove, hearth, vent, and pellets. But we didnt spend a dime on LP that yr (spent almost $4,000 a yr on LP) So after the Stove, Splitter, Chainsaws, Fiskars, Wood area, and the numerous accessories that I have bought this year for the stove. I need to keep her happy till I show her the return it will bring in the long run.

Had several fires already this yr. With the coldest night being about 38* last week. She is in love with it already. Both of us and the kids cant get enough of the Secondary Burn. I cant wait till Winter. I am going to Finish "Finishing" the basement. The 800 sq ft that the stove is in, is the last part to be done. Looking forward to lots of time in front of the 30.

Congrats again on everything. And yes, its all farm land. Across the street from my house is a giant corn/soybean field. I have 1 nieghbor on each side. 1 is an Amish home with a large sawmill operation (300 yards away on the other side of the tree line) and the other guy you can see in the pic. We both own the same size lot (about 10 acres) We are in a constant competition with are yards. All in good fun. But that played a big part in the rack area being clean looking also.

DexterDay said:
Keeping the Wife happy is a big part of most Mens life. The pellet stove paid for itself in about a yr. Spent almost $4,000 on stove, hearth, vent, and pellets. But we didnt spend a dime on LP that yr (spent almost $4,000 a yr on LP) So after the Stove, Splitter, Chainsaws, Fiskars, Wood area, and the numerous accessories that I have bought this year for the stove. I need to keep her happy till I show her the return it will bring in the long run.

Had several fires already this yr. With the coldest night being about 38* last week. She is in love with it already. Both of us and the kids cant get enough of the Secondary Burn. I cant wait till Winter. I am going to Finish "Finishing" the basement. The 800 sq ft that the stove is in, is the last part to be done. Looking forward to lots of time in front of the 30.

Congrats again on everything. And yes, its all farm land. Across the street from my house is a giant corn/soybean field. I have 1 nieghbor on each side. 1 is an Amish home with a large sawmill operation (300 yards away on the other side of the tree line) and the other guy you can see in the pic. We both own the same size lot (about 10 acres) We are in a constant competition with are yards. All in good fun. But that played a big part in the rack area being clean looking also.

Yeah, I was going to comment about how the grass looks like it is professionally cut. I think my neighbors are in the same boat regarding the yard and I have a lot of catching up to do since we bought a foreclosure that has horrible landscaping. I am going to have to learn how to mow the grass to produce a pattern like that. Probably going to have to fertilize too.

I sort of wish I had 10 acres and then I am glad that we didn't end up getting the 6 acre properties that we put offers on. Every time I have to spend an hour on the mower cutting the 2 acres we have, I am not a happy man. Couldn't imagine having to mow 10 acres. I would need a monster tractor with an 18' cutting path.

fabsroman said:
DexterDay said:

Yeah, I was going to comment about how the grass looks like it is professionally cut. I think my neighbors are in the same boat regarding the yard and I have a lot of catching up to do since we bought a foreclosure that has horrible landscaping. I am going to have to learn how to mow the grass to produce a pattern like that. Probably going to have to fertilize too.

I sort of wish I had 10 acres and then I am glad that we didn't end up getting the 6 acre properties that we put offers on. Every time I have to spend an hour on the mower cutting the 2 acres we have, I am not a happy man. Couldn't imagine having to mow 10 acres. I would need a monster tractor with an 18' cutting path.

Not to highjack, but striping the yard is easy. Just alternate directions and mow it 3". A lot of it has to do with the mower, but my old box store cheapo would stripe the yard pretty decent. My new commercial ZTR makes it look like a baseball field. Need OK grass, but doesn't need to be weed-free.

My neighbor has 5 treatments a year. I onlu do one in March. Thats maily just to stop the dandelions. I onlu cut about 5 acres. The back 5 was the pasture when we had horses. I have a Cub Cadet zero turn, its only a 50" cut. But next year I am going to by a 74" Dixie Chopper w/ diesel. That pic was a few days after cutting. Here is a pic from the day of cutting. I dont enjoy cutting the grass. But I do take pride in how it looks. To much work to be done. To much landscaping also. We get 12 yards of mulch every year. Also attached a pic of the memorial garden we made for the Wifes parents (Bless there Souls) Have since added a concrete bench and a few more shrubs and flowers.

Attachments

• Cut Grass.jpg
    Cut Grass.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 91
  • wood stepping blocks 3.jpg
    wood stepping blocks 3.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 86
Status
Not open for further replies.