What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
30° outside right now. I'm letting the coals burn down from my initial warm up load of Doug Fir and red alder. Another 10 minutes or so and I'll fill it up with mostly big leaf maple and one or two chunks of Doug Fir.
I've mostly been burning maple and paper birch so far this season.

Ashes and probably a dead starling. I am going to work on starting it up today...after I check out some of the "Red Thursday" sales!

I let last nights burn die out, so its just ashes today. Outside temps warmed up to the mid 50's and its looking like a mild few days, so the stove might get a few days rest.

Fir, fir, and some more fir! We hit -13c last night and my stove hasn't been out for days and days now.

I've been feeding my stove a steady diet of ash killed by the emerald ash borer. Looking at what my dad and I have on the ground already as well as what's still standing, it looks like it will be ash for at least the next two years.

This all does have the odd silver and sugar maple thrown in. If it's dead or in my way, I knock it down as well. We did get into some red oak earlier in the year that we cut because it was dead and had some nice logs in it. That all went into my dad's shed though. The logs from that (and other trees that were big enough) went to buy us a new chainsaw with money left over.

Wood being consumed by devil flames.

Reactions: aussiedog3
Couple three pieces of poplar and round of hemlock, nice quick hot fire to get the dampness out of the house.

Nothing at the moment. Got to 62 degrees and is currently 58 degrees outside right now. If it does get cool enough, will be pine or a mix of maple, ash, & birch...

Mostly cherry with some white pine, black walnut, shorties and uglies so far here. One big 6x6 ash split the other day I c/s/s last August as a test run. It's ready but there's plenty of other wood in the stacks that will go before that-it's next years wood

lodgepole pine and doug fir. Love the heat!

Reactions: D8Chumley
Ash & black cherry

Still waiting on some decent winter temps here. This has been the strangest year I can recall. High is going to be near 70 on the first of December.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-11-28-22-12-16.png
    Screenshot_2015-11-28-22-12-16.png
    65.6 KB · Views: 302
Reactions: Applesister
Elm and poplar in now, pine and cedar earlier today. Saving the mulberry for when it gets really cold, only 25 F now.

A mix of red oak, silver maple, and black birch in both stoves right now. The house is nice and toasty!

Coal bed of ash and one big bone dry spalded piece of beech. First fire in days. Looking like mid next week before the next one. Oh well saves me more wood for the serious cold. You its coming.

4 fairly large yellow birch and maple uglies @ 4years stacked - bringing the place up to temp. Primary air is right off, crazy heat out the glass. Nice show (secondaries). Pup sleeping on her new dog bed, cold Sleemans cream ale, original Rocky (1976) on the tube. Pretty good night..

Reactions: D8Chumley
F12 - got some phantom flames going on...

About 10 big splits of 4 year seasoned Silver Maple. 29 degrees outside, 76 degrees inside.
Wife watching tv, I'm on the computer(clearly), sitting here in shorts, watching the secondary combustion(courtesy of well seasoned wood) in my old "smoke" dragon. Lovin it!

Had a couple sticks of Hophorn in tonight. Impressive.

It's cold this morning so I've switched over to burning some hardwood . . . maple and some ash I think.