What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Nothing but ashes…
As we’re vacationing in Sanibel

but still missing the burning, eh? Have to check in here to satisfy the craving while on the beach >>

A few big rounds of ash and some locust here and there. I did load both stoves up this morning with some large splits of locust since we would be gone all day working. 14 hours later and the basement is still 71.

Reloaded with sassafras and I got some oak from another stack because it'll be 28 tonight - coldest yet this season.

After a overnight load of hickory and with a low of 39 right now we will make it to 60 today so right now I'm letting the stove go cold. The house is 74. It's only supposed to get down to 45 tonight then high forties the next two nights with highs around 70 Wednesday and Thursday. We will be flirting with record highs here. Looks like the stove will rest until Friday.

28 now. Still chewing through the oak and sassafras from yesterday. I noticed again how much more energy there is in a box full of oak vs pine or sassafras; it's not yet halfway done...

Crazy nice here the last few days and according to the forecast its looking like its going to stay that way for the next at least week or so. Supposed to be close to 80 by Thursday :O Needless to say the stove is quite. I may think about another break-in fire by the time its cold enough to fire up again.

I am just about to reload. I have been running 24/7 pretty much, morning load hemlock, afternoon load hemlock and night load (mainly) hard maple. The maple will carry the load with nice big coals til around 9:00am with the cat sitting at around 500*.

Put a few "tide-over" pieces in around 5 pm after the 10.45 pm load of yesterday. Granted I dialled down the thermostat a bit, but I kept the house at 68 from 10.45 pm until 5 pm on that sassafras and oak load. Will reload with sassafras and pine tonight.

Then will let the stove go out tomorrow; 40 during the night and 50 ish during the day Thursday and Friday. Friday end of the day will be the next fire.

Last edited:
Put a few "tide-over" pieces in around 5 pm after the 10.45 pm load of yesterday. Granted I dialled down the thermostat a bit, but I kept the house at 68 from 10.45 pm until 5 pm on that sassafras and oak load. Will reload with sassafras and pine tonigh

t. Then will let the stove go out tomorrow; 40 during the night and 50 ish during the day Thursday and Friday. Friday end of the day will be the next fire.
Sometimes with the BK I have a hard time finding a good reload timing. Not quite I get the 24h reloads. It is ok if my initial fire is started come night time. I just loose few hrs every day, which is fine. But if I start the initial fire in the morning, then my next morning is an early one.
Not a bad problem to have. With the VC it is like a cloak, morning load, afternoon load, night load.

Sometimes with the BK I have a hard time finding a good reload timing. Not quite I get the 24h reloads. It is ok if my initial fire is started come night time. I just loose few hrs every day, which is fine. But if I start the initial fire in the morning, then my next morning is an early one.
Not a bad problem to have. With the VC it is like a cloak, morning load, afternoon load, night load.

Yes. I generally start fires in the afternoon because it gets colder during the night triggering the need for a fire. I can and have had 24-26 hr reloads but that is just for kicks. Heating from the basement, and having a minisplit for milder weather means I don't often run at the 20-30 hr reload schedule. So, sometimes I have to burn things down quickly before bedtime, and sometimes I have to put smaller loads in or have a few pieces like now to get me to the reload with a decent amount of coals.

Each stove has its wishes :)

Last edited:
Well call me a liar. When the wife got home she started giving me a bunch of guff on why I didn't have a fire started. I said, "its 51 out". She says "I don't care it's cold". Okay.

View attachment 286800

48 out now with 46 for the low.

Lol. When I told my wife and kids that tomorrow I'd let the fire burn out, they looked at me in a way that suggests I might be following you in the liar's ranks...

Anyway, reload with pine and sassafras now. 38 tonight.

1638329256031257114857306554968.jpg

I saw a temp of 29.5 this morning with more of the same going in the wood stove. With Accu forecasting just over 0.25 inches of rain tomorrow, we'll put some wood in today and I'll clear the inch of snow off the driveway in hopes that the rain will melt what's packed down underneath the new snow.

I hope we don't have a winter of a snow/rain cycle.

Lol. When I told my wife and kids that tomorrow I'd let the fire burn out, they looked at me in a way that suggests I might be following you in the liar's ranks...

So, the stove slumbered on today after last night's reload. But the (what my daughter calls "puppy dog"-) look of my wife made me a liar too.

"Can you still refill?" Yes, but it's warm and we can use the minisplit. "But at least for tonight?"

I guess @clancey will be happy ...

Sassafras is going. A bunch of too long splits (the old DutchWest took longer ones) E/W. Good for a long slow burn.

Hit 35 here in the northwoods today, down to 33 tonight. Been burning a mix of punky honey locust shorts and pine to bring the temp up and keep the gas furnace from kicking in and help drywall mud cure. Used a big old beech short last night with the punky honey locust and pine for the overnight and still had a few embers this morning.

Hoping the wife and kids are being successful at home with the NC30...