What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I had a some running around the needed to get done so after that was done I started a fire around 10:15, out in the real world it's 42 but back here we were just over 36.
In this particular part of the real world it is an unreal 57 F today. No reloading here. So I at least partially keep my word...

62 outside right now. It was 30 when I woke up so I threw 2 maple splits on the coals to take the edge off but I don't think we'll be burning until tomorrow. Overnight temps are gonna be 40+ so we'll be good. Heat pump can work if need be.

62 in December in New England. W T F.

In this particular part of the real world it is an unreal 57 F today. No reloading here. So I at least partially keep my word...
We hit our high of the day so far, 40.1 with NOAA calling for a low of 23 tonight,18 for a low on Friday and 14 for a low on Saturday. Sunday NOAA has a forecast low of 31 with a high of 40.

We'll see how much snow we have left after the rains come on Sunday night and Monday.

Just ashes today. Let it burn out last night. Will clean out stove and light it back up tonight. Been a mild week, even rode bike to work a couple times.

The usual oak I always burn… but I brought home some palm bark I picked up from the beach the other day from Sanibel Island… used it as kindling…
B801B843-0915-4770-BCC0-2DC18881B80C.jpeg
F863DFF6-C490-4623-8688-82BB8DF704AD.jpeg

Started the stove again. Used the last 2*4 cut offs I had from my shed roof built to get it nice and hot quick before the night reload.

Attachments

• VID_20211203_204517192~2.mp4
    14.1 MB
Got up to a high of 23 here today currently sitting @ 19 with a predicted low of 9 overnight. Ole' Black Betty rollin' on with a diet of Red Oak, Maple and Beechwood. A pleasant 73 here in the nest. 1st major snow incident scheduled for sunday/monday with up to 10" predicted with 40 mph winds predicted from the NW. Monday it is supposed to be a one day heat wave with temps reaching 45 and rain before it really snaps down cold starting tuesday. A really stupid winter so far.

We have 16.2 tonight with NOAA calling for a low of 11, we'll burn the pellet stove tonight and take some ashes out of the wood stove tomorrow morning and start burning firewood again.

39 now, 34 low, 45 tomorrow. Pine and sassafras carrying the load.

Interesting observation: after that stack of 2*4 cut offs (11 about a ft long) burning nice and hot, I noticed quite a few big dark gray clinkers in my ashes when I reloaded.

Suggests that existing ashes (a significant part from sassafras) can be re- configured (for lack of a better term) into clinkers when a subsequent fire is hot enough. I.e. clinkers don't only form in fresh ashes. Makes sense, but I had not thought of that myself yet.

And just like that . . . good bye fall and hello winter temps.

Switching over to the better wood (i.e. my woodshed splits and rounds) vs. the punks, chunks, uglies and softwood I have been burning up to this point.
Yes the low Monday evening is supposed to be -7::F so I can hopefully burn up a lot of the scraps I have around.

Last edited: