What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
We had a shoulder season fire, it's 51 out but damp so instead of running the dehumidifier in the basement, we're having a fire when the basement or house needs it.

The wife talked me into having a small fire. It’s 45 outside and 74 inside. Burning some 3 year old cherry.

I agree about the humidity. It’s 84% humidity outside right now.

Reactions: MEngineer24
Mix of pine, cherry and ash this morning in the Stratford II in the WI Northwoods. In the 30's outside now but going up to the mid 60's today.

We a freeze warning on for the morning, it's still 72 up here but I'll run a shoulder season fire tonight.

Getting chilly here tonight so I fired up some junk wood and scrap cardboard to drive it off but have doors and windows open so it will not get too warm. The dog loves it, he can come and go as he pleases, and I am enjoying the smell and warmth. It won 't be long before it's full time burning so this a good time to let it burn just for fun.

Not quite as cold here, but with lows and nights in the 40's I loaded up the cookstove this evening since we woke up cold this morning. I cooked a nice stuffed yellow (spaghetti?) squash from our garden. Everything but the rice filling was locally produced/grown.

First fire of the 2022-2023 season today. Got it going with some pine scraps, cut offs and some crumbling oak pieces from a half rotted oak I cut up a few years back. 50F here but its been raining since yesterday from the remnants of Ian.

And first fire of the year going. No solar heating yesterday with highs in the 50's and a slow, cold rain makes for a chilly morning to the wife and kiddos. Have some maple and northern catalpa scraps going.

Finally, lit the fire this afternoon. Cold wind coming from northwest. This is the latest ever.

Reactions: thewoodlands
I am ripping and roaring again tonight with a load of total locust including locust kindling. Hard to get started but it is burning hot right now! Love that locust. I have an electric splitter, and if you split locust small enough it works for kindling.

Another shoulder season fire here this morning. Same conditions as yesterday, 48F and has been raining/overcast since Friday evening. Few cut offs and some half rotted oak maple mix to knock the chill off.

Nothing yet for me, I was close last night but the temps just held stable at that point of fire vs no fire (66 deg f inside) this afternoon we're suppose to have more rain and 52, maybe this evening I'll do a quick batch of cherry / ash, but only if it feels damp and raw inside.

The seasons left and right of the main body of the winter heating season. When less heat is needed. I.e. fall and spring.

We have 34.2 tonight with possible frost, it's 73 up here and 71 in the sleeper. I have some pine mixed in with about three splits of ash that were in here from when we stopped burning in the spring, the basement is 79 heading north.

Lol, poor stove, how about a piece of fruitwood?, Mix things up a bit
Actually I guess she does get a single sliver of fatwood once in a while but just when I let the coals dwindle down a little too far for a fast restart. I find that sometimes there is nothing but a spark left but the cat will still be well over 500°.