What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
It was near 80 hear yesterday, n/g IMO. Was in the 40s overnight, nice getting back to normal. Had just one fire this season earlier in the week, probably will tonight. Picked a few partially ripe tomatoes to ripen indoors, 32º is possible tonight.

We had 30.2 this morning with the house still at 70. We had a small shoulder season wood fire and another smaller fire after, the temp up here is 72 heading to 73.

Last night I did have a fire with some ash, we still had enough coals this morning that the pine took off.

31 this morning with a small load of cut offs and crumbling red oak pieces. Supposed to be a high of 61 today. So a small fire was all we needed to beat the chill.

We had 41.1 this morning with the house still at 70 in some rooms and 71 in the living room. Last night I did have a five split ash fire, a shoulder season wood fire is going in the Lopi at the moment. The basement is 77 and it just hit 72 up here.

We had some good rains today, we'll see what tomorrow brings.

Reactions: MEngineer24
The temp up here is 73 with the temp in the stove room (basement) at 79, I'm burning down some pine with the overnight load of ash going in around 10.

We're at 38.4 tonight with a possible low of 32 in the morning.

We should be dropping down to the low 30's tonight, it was 72 up here when I started a shoulder season wood fire earlier tonight, for the overnight fire, I'll go with a load of half ash and pine.

It's 34.2 out at the moment with a inside temp of 72 up here heading north.

Last edited:
Reactions: MMH and MEngineer24
Still nothing here.
Was upstate Fri-Mon. Nice colors. Had a fire outside, as well as in the fireplace inside every day :)

IMG_20221009_132713334_HDR.jpg IMG_20221009_105604745.jpg

Fired up this morning and kept it on… still burning
Got oak in there
Only burn oak, it’s all I got
Shocked to see it was only 48° outside… didn’t believe so I got out my Thermapen…
Suresh*t it is.

3EFA24D4-F42A-4F10-B090-93D991632720.jpeg E50535E6-8D5F-4F96-B1D0-3FB3AB7960C8.jpeg

2 pine & aspen loads with 1 piece of hardwood each during the day yesterday kept the cabin at 68-70. Almost full overnight load of ash and cherry at 8:15 last night still had the blower running this morning. Went to bed at 71 degrees at 11, got up at 69 degrees at 7. Was in the 20's overnight.

20221014_081733.jpg
First fire of the season! Elm and pine. Was 32 this morning and only getting up to 50 today. Has been burning all day. Now the wife will want a fire every day....

Burning more lath from behind the plaster walls tonight. Unknown wood but I think it's some kind of hardwood. It's 102 years old if it's original to the house(I'm guessing it is). 6.5% moisture easiest burn I've ever had. From start to full secondaries and full air shutoff in under 10 minutes. Makes me wish my actually wood stash was single digit seasoned

Attachments

• 20221016_212546.mp4
    9 MB
It's 45.3 out tonight with the temp in the basement at 77 heading up, the temp up here is 72 going on 73 with the floors between 76 and 78.....just another load of pine going in the wood stove.

Ash and cherry in the Stratford II in the Northwoods. 71 on the thermostat back in the hall, Great Room and loft are about 74. 34 outside with a winter weather advisory.... Couple inches coming and lots of wind.

Its 51 out with a low of 35 tonight. I've been using the heat pump for the last few weeks when I could have justified some shoulder burns but I figured I would run a small load of post oak knots and crotch pieces tonight to get her up and running since we are expecting our first cold snap tomorrow night. I see you northern folks getting some snow. Jealous.

Burning more lath from behind the plaster walls tonight. Unknown wood but I think it's some kind of hardwood. It's 102 years old if it's original to the house(I'm guessing it is). 6.5% moisture easiest burn I've ever had. From start to full secondaries and full air shutoff in under 10 minutes. Makes me wish my actually wood stash was single digit seasoned
My Dad used to burn a fair amount of it when I was young and man does it rip. I wish I had a source for some as it is the best fire starter. I think it was softwood/piney cuz it was like fireworks in the stove. Frightening to think about a whole houseful of it going up in a structure fire..