What is it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
Pineballs.gif

We get something like that on jackpine. Some kind of rust, I think.

its going to be a good tongue lashing
if you dont get it off the wifes clean floor

otherwise I have no idea

Kinda looks like some of those galls I see occasionally on some Oaks & Hackberry.Have no idea though.

This shows you how long you have been c/s/s and burning wood Dennis. The trees in your area are trying to adapt and overcome. Growing in ways that make it hard for you to stack um. Maybe you won't cut them if you don't like to stack um. ;-) Obviously you can see I have nooooo idea what they are.

I think Dennis knows he is just questioning us! :)

Gary

Or if not is from the family of Horizonalus Spliticus which Zap probably has 4.72 cords of from yesterday, that he split with Quads Fiskars! But don't worry BK will have the MC figured out as soon as Danno gets his new avatar up!

:)

Gary_602z said:

Gary

Or if not is from the family of Horizonalus Spliticus which Zap probably has 4.72 cords of from yesterday, that he split with Quads Fiskars! But don't worry BK will have the MC figured out as soon as Danno gets his new avatar up!

:lol: Jeeesh. Wow. You got quite a few at one time with that one. :lol:

Yea! But I left out Smokin Jay because he has had a hard day running his new 001200 72" Stihl on a milling project. Gonna side a barn out of the one log ( it was only a 60")

Gary

Ceramic tile! Duh! I second that, you better clean that floor before the lovely Mrs sav chews you a good one! :)

Insect egg/larva pods?

When I first saw them I just called them burls. So far I've found nothing about them but do have a fellow checking with someone he says should know. I just don't want to find out they are eggs or larva pods like Dave suggests. I'm thinking of perhaps putting on some type of a varnish and making something out of them. I have plenty as we found these after the guys finished cutting our pines.

Gary_602z said:

Gary

That statement in bold has to be a classic! :lol:

Thanks Gary.

I've seen them on oaks where I squirrel hunted growing up but don't know what they are.

f v

I think it looks more like some kind of wasp larva.
citrus wasp larva:

Attachments

• 6a010536951c03970b01156fc94350970c-800wi.jpg
    6a010536951c03970b01156fc94350970c-800wi.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 426
Wasp larva was my next guess. It is hard to tell from that picture if it is solid like wasp larva or more like styrofoam with is is what praying mantis eggs feel like.

A spore or some variety of parasitic plant of some sort. Something along the lines of a mistletoe. That's my guess anyhow from the pics. It's pretty amazing how those things react and grow based on the type of tree they are on.

Burl

looks like phomopsis gall

there are some trees near me that are growing in what was the edge of a silt wash pit in a abandoned sand and gravel pit near me and they are full of it.

insects and fungus can cause gall growths.

http://hyg.ipm.illinois.edu/article.php?id=107

Pine Gall Rusts

"Symptoms on pine include swollen areas on the branches, lumps or galls measuring up to four inches in diameter, and slowed growth. Mature galls often have white to yellow, blister-like ridges (fruiting bodies) that rupture through the bark and produce yellowish spores like most other rusts you have seen. Severe infections may result in witches' broom (multiple shoots growing from a gall), death of branches, and possibly death of the entire tree."

Attachments

• pine_gall_rust.jpg
    pine_gall_rust.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 193
Spray them with Rustoleum!

Seems like every Pin Oak I've ever seen has them on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.