what is still air? R value 2.5 needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

boboiatl

Sep 29, 2015
Georgia
I have a hearthstone homestead with a 2.5 R value for floor protection and I have 5 inches to work with to achieve that.The owners manual says horizontal still air =.92. I have read of using strips of 1 1/2 inch wide by 1/2 inch thick hardiebacker as spacers with full sheets separating each layer. My plan would be to use 1/2 inch thick strip on subfloor -------followed by 1/4 inch full sheet-----------then
1/2 strip as spacer
1/4 full sheet
1/2 strip as spacer
then full sheet with tile to finish. I think that would get me to around 2.96 and keep me around 3 inches in height.
Is this right and if not any suggestions would be appreciated.

I am reinstalling my Homestead in our new home, and have seen that table in the instructions for years. My question is, what will keep the 1/4" hardibacker from deflecting when you set a 375 lb. stove on top? If you have spacers under the feet, it's not R-2.5. Just layer up 3 sheets of Micore with Durrock on top, add tile and be done. That's what I'll be doing this weekend.

I have seen all sorts of ratings for dead air space. This site gives 1-4" dead air space an R=1.0 rating.
http://www.coloradoenergy.org/procorner/stuff/r-values.htm

That said I would skip the airspace and I would not use Hardibacker in this application. It has a much lower R value than Durock NexGen. (R=.20 vs R=.39). Instead I'd put down 1" of Micore 300, then 2 sheets of 1/2" Durock NexGen for a final value of R=2.84. You'll want the double sheets of cement board on top for added stiffness.

Status
Not open for further replies.