What is that sticky stuff on my wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skinnykid

May 6, 2008
Next to a lake in NH
hahahaha I know what your thinking.

But seriously, when I pull pieces out of my stacks, they are like stuck together. When I take a look, there looks like there is some semi-clear goop almost like glue.

Is this the work of an insect or something?

thanks

sap?

skinnykid said:
hahahaha I know what your thinking...

You have no idea what I'm thinking. :zip: Rick

fossil said:
skinnykid said:
hahahaha I know what your thinking...

You have no idea what I'm thinking. :zip: Rick
Yes, we do. And I'm quite sure it involves at least one ferret. ;-P

If skinny's let ferrets get that close to his wood, then I don't even want to hear about the sticky stuff. Geez, I'm about to shove another thread right into the ash can. This is a family forum...we're s'posed to trend toward a steady G-rating here, folks. Help me out with that. %-P Rick

Somebody (probably BG) very courteously moved this questionable thread into the wood shed, rather than just tossing it into the ash can. Not long ago, Craig reminded us all that lots of people beyond the "seasoned" woodburner members here, frequent these forums looking for what we provide best (or at least strive to provide best), which is reliable information about alternative heating for their homes. I like to have a good time here as much as anyone (as all you who know me already know), but I think we all need to remember who might comprise the total audience, and post accordingly. OK, I've done my moderator job for the year. If anyone can help skinny identify the sticky stuff on his wood, please come forward now. Rick

no not the pine trees, those are still laying in the woods.

This wood is all Oak and birch that has been stacked since early sumer.

The stuff I am seeing is not white, it is more clear.

skinnykid said:
hahahaha I know what your thinking.

But seriously, when I pull pieces out of my stacks, they are like stuck together. When I take a look, there looks like there is some semi-clear goop almost like glue.

Is this the work of an insect or something?

thanks

Really?

How about slug trails? They are g-rated.

ya know, that was my first thought. When it rains here, we get nasty big slugs on our deck and stuff so i thought maybe slug trails. I don't know anything about slugs other than they gross me out.

A quorum of Moderators will have to have an opportunity to interview the slugs. Rick

I will be good and not comment ,but maybe give you an anwser. You said your pile is oak and birch. Birch has a sticky sap that comes out like bubbles even when it is still growing. It is most likely birch sap. I don't cut birch because of it. Was I good or what.

skinnykid said:
ya know, that was my first thought. When it rains here, we get nasty big slugs on our deck and stuff so i thought maybe slug trails. I don't know anything about slugs other than they gross me out.

I know if you put out a pan and fill it with beer the slugs in a garden will be attracted to the beer . . . but to make slugs really happy put out a bowl of salty pretzels next to the pan of beer. :) ;)

Parrots just hanging about and making out :lol:

Is it underneath any pine trees?

MMaul said:
Is it underneath any pine trees?

nope.

this sticky stuff is just in between the wood pieces, like someone glued them together. it is on all me species of wood also. It HAS to be the work of an insect or critter.

Status
Not open for further replies.