What is the best tool for occasional cutting ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
Most of my wood is 20'' long and I'd like to cut it in half some of it occasionally to fill my not-square insert firebox full. I think used miter saw would be good. Any other thoughts on what tool might be useful for such quick occasional cutting.

Like all the other treads on "shortening firewood", i would suggest a sawbuck, or some other fashioned jig to hold the pieces while you saw them with a chainsaw. There was an idea of using a milk crake to hold on top of a block/stump. That would suit your small batch processing well. Miter saws are great but i sont have mine permanently set up with dust collection. So it would take me less time to cram splits in a milk crate and whack em with the 550, than set up the miter saw, drop cord and then clean up the mess(cause i aint dragging my miter saw to the woods).

The safety police will be all over me, but I use my little top handle saw for occasional shortening jobs. A saw buck would be better, if this is to be a repeat task, and an electric chainsaw would be the tool of choice if it was to be used only occasionally.

For shortening wood multiple cords at a time, as I’ve been doing with 30 cords over the last 2+ years, build a cut-down rig. Lots of examples of those (including my own) already on this forum. Load the rig with a quarter cord, and then take one big swipe with a large saw.

Most of my wood is 20'' long and I'd like to cut it in half some of it occasionally.... I think used miter saw would be good.

I'm pretty broad minded about widening the envelope of tool uses, but no. The best that can happen is that you will burn up the motor from frequently pinched blades.

Really, there is a reason why people still use a saw buck.

By the way, anyone ever get hit in the head by both halves of a stick that flew up when chopped in two by an ax? No particular reason for asking; just wondering....

Reactions: D8Chumley
By the way, anyone ever get hit in the head by both halves of a stick that flew up when chopped in two by an ax? No particular reason for asking; just wondering....
I remember pulling that move, once... but I don't think I got hit. I remember dodging the flying halves, tho!