What is the best way to light pellets without the ignitor working?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Match.

I have a hand-held clicker torch, propane/mapp. Just pull trigger and aim then flame. Im inpatient when starting Lignetics.

Try rubbing two tiny little sticks together?

Build a tiny pellet teepee fire and add pellets one by one as it grows?

Self igniting torch and shove into a moderate pile of pellets with the stove on and usually can have a good walnut size amount of pellets glowing good that will easily catch when the door is closed in under a minute. Corn stoves have another added starting procedure or two.
Half cup or so of pellets just wetted with alcohol in a cold stove will work too. Liquid accelerants in a warm-hot stove is a big no no.

Reactions: Defiant
Hand Sanitizer works very well. It has alcohol in it and flammable warnings. :)

You will discover that replacing your igniter will be alot easier and alot less aggravating.

Reactions: Jack Morrissey
I'm in the same boat this year and I decided to go with the hand held torch method. After I serviced the stove last week, I tried it and was very impressed by how fast it works. No more checking the stove every few minutes to see if the pellets lit yet.

I'm in the same boat this year and I decided to go with the hand held torch method. After I serviced the stove last week, I tried it and was very impressed by how fast it works. No more checking the stove every few minutes to see if the pellets lit yet.
+1 -- Torch works great...

Torch works really well. My choice.
But everyone doesn't have one, and they are pricey.
The gel stuff works good too. I think the tip is to let it soak
in a few minutes. If you light it right quick, it will just burn off the surface
of the pellets...
Best to put some pellets in, then gel, then more pellets..

90% ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL is the best and cheapest way to start your pellet stove. Take a handful of pellets put it in a small plastic cup, pour some alcohol into the cup to coat the pellets wait about a minute then pour the pellets into the burn pot, light it and you are done.

I have been using this method for 2 years with no complaints.

90% ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL is the best and cheapest way to start your pellet stove. Take a handful of pellets put it in a small plastic cup, pour some alcohol into the cup to coat the pellets wait about a minute then pour the pellets into the burn pot, light it and you are done.

I have been using this method for 2 years with no complaints.
I might try doing it this way, Thanks

I use lamp oil, like alcohol soak a few for a couple of minutes then light.
A quart almost lasts me a whole season

Status
Not open for further replies.