What is the best way to pry off the auger bushing plate?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

I want to replace the Travis Auger brass collar in the Astoria Auger Bushing plate. I removed the auger motor and the auger plate screws but wow is that plate stuck on! Looks like there is high temp RTV behind it!

How do you pry this off?

Instructions look easy but that plate is stuck on!
1 For stoves, remove the rear panel (see page 3-1). For inserts, remove the surround panels and pull the insert out to access the rear (see page 3-2).
2 Remove the auger motor following the directions on the previous page.
3 Remove the lower auger bushing plate following the directions below. The auger flight can now be slid
out of the auger (on inserts you will need to lift the rear edge of the appliance slightly).

Attachments

• IMG03258-20120829-1415.jpg
    IMG03258-20120829-1415.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 561
  • AugerAssemblyRA.jpg
    AugerAssemblyRA.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 513
place the plate on two blocks of wood (2x4s), find a socket the same diameter as the bushing and hammer the bushing backwards and out or....use the auger itself from the other side....with a block of wood and a hammer. aren't you the pellet stove master?;)

place the plate on two blocks of wood (2x4s), find a socket the same diameter as the bushing and hammer the bushing backwards and out or....use the auger itself from the other side....with a block of wood and a hammer. aren't you the pellet stove master?;)

I can get the bushing out, it is getting the bushing plate off the stove?

Anyway, I just got a good answer from someone else. He uses a thin putty knife to break the seal of the silicon by going all the way around the bushing plate. I will try that.

BTW Getting the answers is part of being the pellet stove master. ;)

Hello

I want to replace the Travis Auger brass collar in the Astoria Auger Bushing plate. I removed the auger motor and the auger plate screws but wow is that plate stuck on! Looks like there is high temp RTV behind it!

How do you pry this off?

Instructions look easy but that plate is stuck on!
1 For stoves, remove the rear panel (see page 3-1). For inserts, remove the surround panels and pull the insert out to access the rear (see page 3-2).
2 Remove the auger motor following the directions on the previous page.
3 Remove the lower auger bushing plate following the directions below. The auger flight can now be slid
out of the auger (on inserts you will need to lift the rear edge of the appliance slightly).
And that's why I hate it when people use RTV as a gasket in their stoves. Makes it so much harder then it should be if you were to use a rubberized plastic gasket.

And that's why I hate it when people use RTV as a gasket in their stoves. Makes it so much harder then it should be if you were to use a rubberized plastic gasket.

I agree, the Whitfield stoves have a gasket. They also have an upgraded nylon type bushing too! It lasts much longer than a brass bushing!

I am glad you mentioned this. I have some nice high temp silicon rubber I can make a gasket with. Although it is 1/8" thick. Do you think that is too thick here?

See video

I agree, the Whitfield stoves have a gasket. They also have an upgraded nylon type bushing too! It lasts much longer than a brass bushing!

I am glad you mentioned this. I have some nice high temp silicon rubber I can make a gasket with. Although it is 1/8" thick. Do you think that is too thick here?
I think 1/8" would be ok. I am pretty sure the Whitfield OEM ones are 1/16" but there is 1/16" worth of wiggle room in putting that gasket on. I would have to measure one at work to be certain since I don't have spare parts laying around my house.

Thanks for your comments MountainSean :)

Thanks to JTakeman, I got the bushing plate off with the putty knife just as he suggested!

Then I found some sluge on the Auger where it goes inside the bushing! That would definitely be the cause of all my inconsistent fire flame height problems!

See yellow arrow in pic below!

Attachments

• AugerDirtySnag (5)ya.jpg
    AugerDirtySnag (5)ya.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 349
  • AugerBushingPlate.jpg
    AugerBushingPlate.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 320
  • AugerDirtySnag (1).jpg
    AugerDirtySnag (1).jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 327
  • AugerDirtySnag (2).jpg
    AugerDirtySnag (2).jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 366
  • AugerDirtySnag (3).jpg
    AugerDirtySnag (3).jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 308
  • AugerDirtySnag (4).jpg
    AugerDirtySnag (4).jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 341
Hello Again

Well I got the bearing out. Using a block of wood, I could not get it out all the way. Actually, The best way is using a 9/16" socket and a hammer! BINGO

I wish they showed how to do these 2 things in that Whitfield Video!

See pics below.

Attachments

• BrassBearingRemoval (1).jpg
    BrassBearingRemoval (1).jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 263
  • BrassBearingRemoval (2).jpg
    BrassBearingRemoval (2).jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 258
  • BrassBearingRemoval (3).jpg
    BrassBearingRemoval (3).jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 262
  • BrassBearingRemoval (4).jpg
    BrassBearingRemoval (4).jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 257
Sorry Don, doubt i can improve on it as i dont work there anymore :)

Oh, I did not know. That is a great video! Really shows how it all goes together!

Maybe you can make some videos where you are now?

Hello Again

I also want to mention that cleaning off the old RTV can be done very well with a Dremel tool!
See pics.

Gasket material will be in this week. The new bushing came on a new auger bottom plate so it will pop right in!

Attachments

• CleanAugerBottomPlate (1).jpg
    CleanAugerBottomPlate (1).jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 271
  • CleanAugerBottomPlate (2).jpg
    CleanAugerBottomPlate (2).jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG03313-20120903-1259.jpg
    IMG03313-20120903-1259.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 260
Can't quite tell what accessory you were using on the Dremel. Wire brush?

Can't quite tell what accessory you were using on the Dremel. Wire brush?

Yes, the small round wire wheel brush. Works great! Also works good when replacing door and ash pan gaskets to clean the old cement off!

Hello

Well the Hi Temp 1/32" gasket material is in and it fits like a glove! Much better than RTV! If you get RTV near the auger, it will not turn and the stove is toast! If you cut the gasket a little larger than the auger hole, then compressing the gasket will not interfere with the Auger operation. I put 2 drops of 3-1 oil on the Auger top and bottom shaft and put the whole unit back in with the new brass bushing and new plate assembly.

Better than NEW!

Now I can remove the auger and new reusable gasket and clean and oil the shaft once a year!

See pics

Attachments

• IMG03317-20120904-1615.jpg
    IMG03317-20120904-1615.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG03319-20120904-1618.jpg
    IMG03319-20120904-1618.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG03320-20120904-1633.jpg
    IMG03320-20120904-1633.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG03321-20120904-1643.jpg