what is the biggest/fattest tree you have taken?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This one went 6 cords 65 inchs across but only 70 foot high.

Second one a red oak this trunk is 44 inchs 16 foot long

3rd one in the 50's inch

4th one 61 inch 110 footer

Attachments

• 6 cord silver maple.jpg
    6 cord silver maple.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 488
  • 10517_103445316332150_100000000464379_94970_6245138_n.jpg
    10517_103445316332150_100000000464379_94970_6245138_n.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 467
  • 361.jpg
    361.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 497
  • firewood%204.jpg
    firewood%204.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 459
I don't know, but I think this oak was about 4 feet at its widest. About 4 cords worth.

Attachments

• BigOak.compressed.jpg
    BigOak.compressed.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 486
  • FourFtofOakMS390.compressed.jpg
    FourFtofOakMS390.compressed.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 559
I didn't do the drop (not enough bar), but I did virtually every cut after that. 56" DBH White Oak:

And the second is of a 43-44" maple

Attachments

• IMG00024sm.jpg
    IMG00024sm.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 468
  • 012sm.jpg
    012sm.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 470
Don, never let the size of the log scare you into thinking it will be hard to split. I always enjoyed splitting the big ones and most were never that difficult either. Now with the hydraulics, they split even easier.

DonNC said:
Holy Cow!

How do you go about splitting something THAT big? I can see that cutting it up required patience. You have to splite something like that on location in order just to move it. Is that all ax, wedge, and hammer?

In my case it was noodle.:)

Sledge and 2 wedges makes quick and easy work.

DonNC said:
Holy Cow!

How do you go about splitting something THAT big? I can see that cutting it up required patience. You have to splite something like that on location in order just to move it. Is that all ax, wedge, and hammer?

Sledge and wedges is the ONLY way you can get started on something like that. I've not taken anything that big down but I've split up many of them.

I remember as a kid thinking how awesome it was that my dad would even think about tackling something that big. He taught me about the power of the wedge and and about breaking big jobs down into smaller ones. Damn, I miss him.

WoodpileOCD said:
DonNC said:
Holy Cow!

Sledge and wedges is the ONLY way you can get started on something like that. I've not taken anything that big down but I've split up many of them.

I remember as a kid thinking how awesome it was that my dad would even think about tackling something that big. He taught me about the power of the wedge and and about breaking big jobs down into smaller ones. Damn, I miss him.

Roll and spin that sucker right on the splitter. If you dont crack it in half then grab your maul sledge and wedge. 90 percent will split good enough to lighten the load. Then 1/4 and your off to the races.

smokinjay said:
WoodpileOCD said:
DonNC said:
Holy Cow!

Roll and spin that sucker right on the splitter. If you dont crack it in half then grab your maul sledge and wedge. 90 percent will split good enough to lighten the load. Then 1/4 and your off to the races.

Yea, I done that. Position the splitter so when you tip it over it lands on the bottom plate.

Backwoods Savage said:
Sledge and 2 wedges makes quick and easy work.

Indeed, I love reducing the big ones :)

WoodpileOCD said:
smokinjay said:
WoodpileOCD said:
DonNC said:
Holy Cow!

Yea, I done that. Position the splitter so when you tip it over it lands on the bottom plate.

Yea the guy on the splitter gets really good at this. Its all done in one motion, or your screwed! lol

Jags said:
Two words: Log lifter

Still got to get it on there...Looks like at least an inch and a half to get it there. Make's me want to pucker up...And people say a 15 lb saw to heavy to carry all day long...Heck give me the 20 lb'er just keep me off the splitter PLEASE!

Jags said:
Naaa...It ain't bad. Rolls right on to the beam.

Where does the big chunks fall?

smokinjay said:
Jags said:

The chunk opposite of the operator falls onto the work table while I reposition the chunk closest to me. Keep in mind that using this method does not require a split down the middle. You only split off what you can handle and allow the other part to land on the table.

Edit: my work table is steel plate that allows the wood to slide pretty easy.

Jags said:
smokinjay said:
Jags said:

The chunk opposite of the operator falls onto the work table while I reposition the chunk closest to me. Keep in mind that using this method does not require a split down the middle. You only split off what you can handle and allow the other part to land on the table.

I like it thats for sure. Can one person handle a 60 inch round?

smokinjay said:
Jags said:
smokinjay said:
Jags said:

Yep - pretty easy actually. I don't have to lift much - just steady things and wiggle them around on smooth steel.

Another big one on the lift: (probably about 44")

Attachments

• logsplitter 001sm.jpg
    logsplitter 001sm.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 342
Jags said:
smokinjay said:
Jags said:
smokinjay said:
Jags said:

Yep - pretty easy actually. I don't have to lift much - just steady things and wiggle them around on smooth steel.

Been looking at adding a hoist to mine. Two guys can handle a 63inch easy enough the way it is but you better have your Wheaties first.

smokinjay said:
Been looking at adding a hoist to mine. Two guys can handle a 63inch easy enough the way it is but you better have your Wheaties first.

I'm a one man show - so making hard things easy(er) is at the top of my priority list.

I bucked-up an approx 40" diam Red Oak that had been downded by wind. Split the biggest stuff on-site with a fiskars no prob, rounds that weren't too monsterous I rolled up onto the truck on 2 2X8s & brough home to process. Used sledge & wedges on about 5-10% and noodled a couple big ugly rounds from the base of the trunk.
It is pretty impressinve what one guy & some good tools can acomplish, but none of this is much when I compared to the big Red Woods & Seqouias that were logged out long before chainsaws...

Jags said:
Another big one on the lift: (probably about 44")
That is sweet!

Status
Not open for further replies.