What is the carbon footprint of wood heat?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
snowtime said:
My position is the amount of wood consumed by home heating is so small as to be inconsequential.
Not for me personally. I think I went to one website that had a calculator
of your carbon footprint, and typical (for an American) was something like
10-12 tons per year IIRC. I must burn a few tons of wood per year, and
I believe its dry weight is almost entirely carbon.

I burn about 500 gallons of gasoline per year, which is about 2660 lb of
carbon, according to this interesting website:

http://bioenergy.ornl.gov/papers/misc/energy_conv.html

So even that 10-12 tons per year sounds kinda high (only about
1/4 of my carbon footprint is gasoline, really ?!?)

Also, makes it sound kinda silly when deny'ers whine about putting a
"tax" of a few $10s per ton on carbon.

Of course, theres' some really bad info out there - I've read several
times that "each mile you drive your car puts a pound of carbon in the
air" - well, MAYBE, if you car gets 5-6 MPG. (No, deny'ers, this does
not give you permission to crawl back out of your holes ...)

Burning wood in a modern EPA stove is relatively clean, but...

...processing the fuel is where we have a negative impact on the environment:

We are using oil burning 2-stroke chainsaws.
The logs are hauled in gas/diesel engine trucks.
The splitters are usually gas/diesel powered.
The split wood is hauled in a truck again to the final destination.
Very few trees are actually replanted.

Unless you are cutting down trees in your backyard with an axe, splitting them with a maul, hauling with a wheelbarrow, and replanting trees to replace the ones you cut down, you aren't carbon neutral. You have to bring excess energy into the equation to process your 'green' wood fuel. It is not a carbon-neutral process.

You also have to take into account the resources used in the manufacture and shipping of your stove and components. A lot of raw materials and energy are consumed to build the stove and ship it to your house. If you have ever been in a foundry, you understand this process. Making stainless steel (for your fancy liner) is pretty nasty (think chromium).

cycloxer said:
Burning wood in a modern EPA stove is relatively clean, but...

...processing the fuel is where we have a negative impact on the environment:

True, so it's technically wrong to call wood heat "carbon neutral".
But it's pretty low-carbon in comparison with other methods. It's
safe to say that none of the renewable energy technologies are
completely carbon neutral. It takes carbon to produce wind turbines,
hydroelectric generators, and solar panels. Passive solar probably
comes the closest, because you need some form of the main
elements of passive solar to build any house (glass, flooring etc).

Carbon is not the main reason I burn wood. My reasons include:

- it is the most comfortable heat, IMHO
- cutting firewood is great exercise and a good excuse for enjoying the outdoors
- it's cheap, virtually free for me
- I'm not funneling a bunch of money into Arab nations and sleazy corporations

RustyShackleford said:
times that "each mile you drive your car puts a pound of carbon in the air" - well, MAYBE, if you car gets 5-6 MPG.

Maybe not elemental carbon itself, but CO2 is real the concern since it is a greenhouse gas. Yes, you can put out a pound of CO2 per mile in an internal combustion engine.

Gasoline is composed of carbon and hydrogen. Two molecules of hydrogen combine with one molecule of oxygen to form one molecule of water. Two oxygen molecules combine with one carbon molecule to form one molecule of CO2. Using the figures you linked to, there is 2.42 kg of carbon in a gallon of gas. That's 5.3 pounds of carbon. Combined with oxygen, that makes about 19.5 pounds of CO2 produced by burning a gallon of gas. If your car gets about 19.5 MPG... well, that math is easy to figure. ;-)

Here's a calculator that you can use to figure how much driving your car affects your "carbon footprint":

http://www.greenprogress.com/carbon_footprint_calculator.php

I know about this stuff from my work.

i) Dry wood is (approximately) (CH2O)n.
The relative masses are C12H2x1O16.
Perfectly dry wood is therefore approximately 12 parts carbon/30 parts total, by mass. The usual 10-30% water would lower the relative carbon content.
So 1 kg of perfectly dry wood x 12/30= about 0.4 kg carbon.

The units are important, whether it is expressed as mass of carbon, or mass of carbon dioxide, since, for perfect combustion:

(CH2O)n + O2n -> CO2n + H2On

The relative masses for CO2 are C12O2x16; 12 parts carbon/44 parts total, by mass.
So a gram of carbon is not a gram of CO2, and the emissions units are expressed both ways.

Gasoline is close to (CH2)n, and the gasoline combustion would be approximately:
(CH2)n + 1.5O2n -> CO2 + H2O

Gasoline would be (about) 12 parts carbon/16 parts total mass.

ii) Forests can sequester significant amounts of carbon, and not all the carbon that is fixed is re-released through decomposition. During the decomposition process some compounds (like lignin) are highly resistant to breakdown and their derivatives can accumulate in soils as humic acid and related compounds. These compounds are very stable in soil and can persist for thousands of years, sequestered away from the environment. But the accumulation rates per year depend upon (CO2 uptake/year - respiratory release of CO2/year). These rates vary widely with climate with vegetation type and with forest age.
As others wrote, as a general pattern younger forests have higher uptake rates per hectare (or per acre); the re-release rates depend upon climate and vegetation.

iii) As others wrote, wood heat is not carbon neutral, but it is closer to carbon neutral than fossil fuel burning, particularly for domestic heat. The tradeoff with nuclear is complicated, since the reactors represent enormous embedded energy & carbon equivalents.
The bigger problem is that there is not enough wood production per year in North America to meet anywhere near our current energy expenditures. So wood heat is viable for the fraction of households in high-forest regions. Around my area, the current wood supply is partly 'mined', since it is hardwood being cut faster than the regeneration rate, to make way for land clearing or softwood plantations. Carcinogenic particulate emissions are also a problem, since so many burners are sloppy.

iv) In theory, carbon taxes could be nearly equivalent to cap and trade; in practice the accounting for a carbon tax is simple and straightforward, with limited opportunities for market distortion or corruption. Cap and Trade, by contrast, is complicated, with good opportunities for distortion by lobbyists, or for outright corruption. Who sets the cap? Who arranges the Trade?
So, of course, our governments are inclining towards Cap and Trade.
We currently tax labour highly, which discourages labour, wages and savings. We keep tax on materials and energy low. So many of our practices and designs work to limit labour by using materials and energy. We would be better off if the tax burden was shifted OFF income (to encourage labour, craftsmanship, wages, & savings) and towards energy (to encourage energy efficient practices, energy independence, and, possibly, even, limit climate change).

I agree - wood burning is a better alternative to burning more diesel fuel. Many peope have access to wood that requires only their own effort and tools to process. We burn enough gasoline driving our cars everyday. I totally agree with Boone Pickens that we should be developing our natural gas capabilities domestically. We have a 250 year supply in our own country and the fuel burns so clean. My NG burner is 6 years old and it still looks brand new. You can buy a condensing NG burner that runs at 95% efficiency and emits virtually no particulates. Now that is clean and efficient.

Battenkiller said:
RustyShackleford said:
times that "each mile you drive your car puts a pound of carbon in the air" - well, MAYBE, if you car gets 5-6 MPG.

Maybe not elemental carbon itself, but CO2 is real the concern since it is a greenhouse gas. Yes, you can put out a pound of CO2 per mile in an internal combustion engine.

Of course, I didn't mean to suggest elemental carbon. But I'm fairly sure that the
way of measuring CO2 is by the weight of the carbon. So we say "such and such puts
a pound of carbon into the atmosphere" even though the CO2 weighs a lot more than
a pound, as you point out. I'll double-check this though.

In my town there is a large auction house,they get huge amounts of old wood furniture to be auctioned off,a lot of it is damaged or has broken parts.If nobody bids on a peice of furniture it gets throwed in a trash pile free for the taking the next day.My neighbor has been burning some of this in his outdoor stove for years,so i have been getting some and mixing it with my wood,i removed the catalyst to do this,there is some stain and varnish on it.It burns very clean,less smoke than split wood and it burns very hot.I pick only solid wood furniture no pressboard or partical board.Any of this left gets hauled to the landfield to be buried.I feel by me and my neighbor burning some of this we are not hurting the enviroment,if the wood is buried then the stain and varnish leeches into the soil and groundwater.So far ninty percent of the cut wood i burn is from damaged ice storm trees and tops left over from logging crews.Epa or smoke dragon i feel neither one is upsetting the enviroment.

Status
Not open for further replies.