What is this bug? My firewood is infested.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We have them up here also on the wood pile and I never knew what they were either but I fogged the crap out of my wood stacks with diatomaceous earth.
I bought a 50lb bag of it at the local feed store to control bugs in the garden and hop beds so I figured i'd give it a try on the wood stacks!

I have seen a bunch of dead ones here and there but as slow as they move they might just be sleeping.

Sweet Manny's glass BTW!

Those are boxelder bugs (Boisea trivittata). In the winter they cling to house siding, wood piles, and just about anything to ride out the cold weather. They occur in lower numbers around many species of maples and ash, but around box elder maple trees they thrive in very high numbers. My ex has a stand of box elders on her property and the bugs are always piled high and deep on and around her house in the fall and winter months. They were also common on the vine and big leaf maples there. I had them on my native California maple trees in the SF Bay Area, and they are here on my Japanese maples as well (but in low numbers). They eat mainly maple seeds. They do not bore into wood or eat wood, and are not a threat to your house. They can be a PITA though, and pile up around windows and under eves and gutters. I sucked them up with a shop vac on cold days when they were inactive in winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.