What is this in my existing liner??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dirtyb15

Jun 6, 2015
Ohio
Hello all. Finally ready to have an insert put in. When i bought the house there was an old black bart insert installed in the fireplace. I removed it, and behind it found a metal firebox with masonry bottom. I am told it is a heatilator fireplace? At any rate, i was peaking up into the chimney today, and cant figure out what i am seeing. It has coil wire showing in spots, and behind it you can see the clay liner. It almost looks like maybe its an old liner itself? I have attached a picture. So what is it, can i remove it and how? Thanks for any help.
IMG_4596.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
At any rate, i was peaking up into the chimney today, and cant figure out what i am seeing. It has coil wire showing in spots,

Looks like a burn out liner to me but it is hard to tell what does it look like up top?

Looks like a burn out liner to me but it is hard to tell what does it look like up top?
Just a question, you seem to be very knowledgeable what are the chances of old liners in older homes have asbestos in them? Was it even a thought back then to use it for insulating a chimney? You ever run into it

Just a question, you seem to be very knowledgeable what are the chances of old liners in older homes have asbestos in them? Was it even a thought back then to use it for insulating a chimney? You ever run into it
A stainless liner no. There are asbestos chimneys out there though

Alright, got a better look at it today. From everything i can tell it is a cast in liner, they must have put it in when they installed the insert i took out. It looks to be about 8" in diameter and runs all the way up. Made out of a very light weight pink cement material, like volcanic rock, very porous. Anyone ever seen this before? Assuming this is what i have, is it okay to run a 6" S.S liner through it?

Alright, got a better look at it today. From everything i can tell it is a cast in liner, they must have put it in when they installed the insert i took out. It looks to be about 8" in diameter and runs all the way up. Made out of a very light weight pink cement material, like volcanic rock, very porous. Anyone ever seen this before? Assuming this is what i have, is it okay to run a 6" S.S liner through it?
We would need some pics to tell but most cast in place liners are not pourous at all. I would say you should have a pro out to see what you have and what your options are. But chances are you could drop a 6" down it

Status
Not open for further replies.