What is this??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fishki

Jan 5, 2017
SE Kansas
Picked it up in a small pile of scrounge.... i'm clueless o_O

IMG_3525.JPG IMG_3527.JPG

Is the bark off it already? If so, gonna be tough to id it. Do they have mesquite in Kansas?

That looks a lot like the dogwood I have in my stacks. If it is dogwood, it'll burn HOT. But if you were able to split that stuff by hand, it probably isn't dogwood.

That looks a lot like the dogwood I have in my stacks. If it is dogwood, it'll burn HOT. But if you were able to split that stuff by hand, it probably isn't dogwood.
My PA dogwood splits with just a little more effort than looking at it. Does burn hot and long. Shame they don't get big.

That's all there was of it and that's how I found it. Never seen anything like it. No mesquite where I live either. Haven't tried to split a piece yet.

Maple uglies from a twisty curvy base near the stump.

Reactions: pernox
Maple uglies from a twisty curvy base near the stump.

Have to agree on part of this, after examining the splits further, it does appear these are the first cut off the stump as the bark side (which there is no bark) flares out on one end.