What is this

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
3414C0CE-82D3-49A0-9395-010872786471.png
Here’s some cherry I dropped over the summer up in NW NJ

For Black Cherry to grow in the lowlands (<1500') that straight would be very unusual as well. Usual curved or crooked trunk in these parts. But possible.

seeing the better pics i dont think its gum. my guess is some type of soft maple. some of the smaller stuff in the back is certainly maple. i love soft maple.

ditto on cut and split a piece.

once split, gum burns ok, not great. its downsides are that its very ashy and goes punky really really quick.

If you see any other trees in that area with the same bark, examine one for branching type (alternate vs opposite). Examining a twig with buds & leaf scars from that reference tree would confirm species.

So i cut a piece off and split it, i think its oak, cut an 18" piece but had to cut it smaller cause it was to heavy to lift in the truck
20190127_132354.jpg
20190127_132334.jpg
20190127_132443.jpg
20190127_132627.jpg

The only problem is the location, its on a really busy 2 lane back road so by the time i pull up with truck and trailer its gonna be a little sketchy

So easy with a split and a good picture.

Mmmm, can smell that wet oak from here.

That's something I always like to tell folks here. Don't forget to use your sniffer when attempting to ID wood. A cut or split of the wood can make identifying some woods very easy.

Oak smells like oak boards at the lumber yard. Well, oak sometimes will have a hint of cow manure (caused by a fungus), but the underlying oak smell still is distinctive, IMO. Everyone knows what pine smells like, and if it smells like pine, you can rule out all the hardwoods.

Last edited:
Mmmm, can smell that wet oak from here.

That's something I always like to tell folks here. Don't forget to use your sniffer when attempting to ID wood. A cut or split of the wood can make identifying some woods very easy.

Oak smells like oak boards at the lumber yard. Well, oak sometimes will have more a hint of cow manure (caused by a fungus), but the underlying oak smell still is distinctive, IMO. Everyone knows what pine smells like, and if it smells like pine, you can rule out all the hardwoods.
I'm not an oak smith like you are lol

definitely oak , most likely pin oak

Maybe an early Saturday and/or Sunday morning grab?
Love the smell of oak!

Get one of those bright yellow vests at ocean state or similar store and they'll think you work for the town.

Get one of those bright yellow vests at ocean state or similar store and they'll think you work for the town.

and a few orange safety cones wouldn't hurt either... Free wood is great but not if you end up in the hospital due to a careless driver.

and a few orange safety cones wouldn't hurt either... Free wood is great but not if you end up in the hospital due to a careless driver.

Thats some good ideas right there,i have high visibility shirts i use for work so that works imma go pick up a few cones

I’m surprised that sat on the road for so long and no one else bothered to scoop it up.

How was it determined its free for the taking? Did I miss that?

Yeah. Happened to me when I bought the house. Tree company came in and removed a huge maple on my property over the power lines probably over 100 years old. When I got back from work there was three guys loading their pickup trucks with the rounds. I didn’t care at the time because I didn’t intend on ever owning a stove. Happens a lot out here if you don’t put a sign out that reads “do not take wood”. I wouldn’t stand for it today now that I have the stove.

Reactions: TreePointer

You didn't, its on the side of the street in the suburbs, thats a normal thing people picking up down trees on the side of the street around here