What is this

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Posvibe

Aug 19, 2019
Kentucky wood
Ok , I am getting ready to install a pellet insert. I already installed a pellet stove in my back fire place. It was easy, took the fire place cover off found I had an 8" stove pipe already there. So I ran a 4" stainless steel liner up an out. Now I want to install a pellet insert in the front fure place. So I took the cover off expecting to find another 8" stove pipe. But no , I found this. An 10" clay pipe , coming up from the bottom and going about 2' up into the chimney. It ends there and is open. What is this, the house is 108 yes old. When I look under into the craw space all I see is a bunch of stone from where I guess this pipe originates. so what is this and can I remove to install my insert.

Attachments

• 20190907_145410.jpg
    20190907_145410.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 221
  • 20190907_145407.jpg
    20190907_145407.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 211
Radon vent??

Doesn't look like a fireplace with the way it's stuck in the corner like that. Odd setup.

Last edited:
Could be a sewer pipe or the pipe that connect to the one that goes to the roof to bring air to the sewer system.

I was thinking maybe something to do with sewage ventilation. So if I cut this out and level it . Then add a 3" tube and run it parallel with a liner for my insert. Think it would be ok

I was thinking maybe something to do with sewage ventilation. So if I cut this out and level it . Then add a 3" tube and run it parallel with a liner for my insert. Think it would be ok
You need to first determine 100% what it is, if it is a vented sewage pipe then I don't think its advised to have a solid fuel appliance near it do to the potential of sewer gases.

Maybe it’s best to just cover it over and install a free standing stove? It can vent through an exterior wall very easily.

Correct I need to find out what it is first. If it is sewer vent I believe I can just vent it another way. Fire place on the second floor is using the same chimney. So I am thinking this pipe might not be sewage vent. Because even if the first floor isn't used the second floor was . The pipe in the pic only goes up about one foot past the top of the fire place opening.

Looks like it’s plugged anyway. Wreck it out and continue with life. No sense in worrying with additional problems, you’ll have your hands full with 2 pellet stoves going! ;lol

Well I talked with some locals about this and they said it was part of the airflow for the cellar and crawl space. That the vents would allow air to be drawn in and up the chimney to keep moisture down. Thank you all for the input