What kind of Maple is this

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

swagler85

Minister of Fire
Mar 4, 2012
NE Ohio
seansellsohio.com
This tree is at the new house, didn't realize it was in this bad of shape until the other day. Didn't look too close at the trees when we bought, mainly just the house and barn. But looks like its on the way out and only a few yards from the house. If it falls good chance it can take out the house. What do you think of tree condition and what kind is maple is this?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370396759.135888.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370396776.396733.jpg

A leaf might help if you can get to one. Otherwise, did you by chance notice if it dropped helicopters this spring, if so it is a red or (probably not) silver, if it seeds in the late summer then it is a sugar. If you have time and patience that is the easiest and fool proof way to id a sugar maple.

Reactions: Boom Stick
Leaves are way up there, just bought it today so don't know about when it drops seeds or helicopters. It's a long straight trunk not like the silver maples around. My first guess was sugar but I'm not the greatest on trees I'm not familiar with. ,

Bark with long deep plates makes me think sugar maple. As noted, a leaf should confirm ID.

I've zoomed in with binoculars and even a rifle scope to see leaves. Maybe there are some other trees in the area with similar bark and low branches?

Reactions: DexterDay
I think sugar maple.
Looks a little sick with the dead limbs up top.
Center is probably getting punky.

A sick tree that big , close to the house would make some nice firewood. IMO

Reactions: TreePointer
Get a tree company with a bucket truck to thin out the dead limbs. Theres plenty of shade, seedlings and maple sap left in that ol girl.

alkfirewood3sm.jpg
Dunno Applesister. Once my maples started to do that, they were on the short list. I have three that are every bit as big as the OP's. Within 3 years of noticing this kind of behavior - one is completely dead and standing, and the other two broke off 20 ft into the air (and are sprouting new branches). Mine are silvers.

You can see in the far distance behind the wagon the dead standing:

Attachments

• Silver Maple.jpg
    Silver Maple.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 93
Sugar maple. That tree is toast. The leader is dead...won't be too long before the rest of it is too (or at least an ugly mis-shapen mess waiting for the center to rot out an become dangerous).

Yes I'm thinking it has an appointment with my Stihl and some wedges. Too close to my kids bedrooms to take a chance.

Fair warning. It is not uncommon for a tree like that to be hollow for several feet at the base. Use caution.

(Great minds???)

Ya Sean, be careful but get that hard maple down soon.

I'll secure a line to it for security and wedge it down. Will be extra careful on this one.

Leaves are way up there, just bought it today so don't know about when it drops seeds or helicopters. It's a long straight trunk not like the silver maples around. My first guess was sugar but I'm not the greatest on trees I'm not familiar with. ,
Sugar maples won't drop their helicopters til later in the summer....and they are much smaller than silver or Norway maple 'copters...

That is most definitely a sugar maple....

Status
Not open for further replies.