What kind of oak.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Constrictor

Hearth Supporter
I just finished a 4 load 7-8 cord of oak score made up of just 2 trees. The biggest one was red oak and the smaller one 32" dia is some kind of oak I've not seen. Will post pix later but it looks like white oak basically, but the center is darker and the rings are the biggest I've ever seen on oak. Some as wide as 1/2" I've cut lots of oak and it's always been tighter than that. The dia is 32" and I counted 47 rings. Any idea what oak grows that fast .?

Here is a photo of the load. Will get closeups later

Attachments

• IMG_20110929_184802-1.jpg
    IMG_20110929_184802-1.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 610
I can't tell from those pics. If the leaves had pointed lobes it was a red oak variety if the leaves had rounded lines it was a white oak of some sort. But to tell u just by looking at the bark you need to take some closer pics. Either way you got some killer fuel there!

Tree ID is tough with the pics you have, and your right the rings on oak would not generally be that far apart.
All I can say is that the two pieces closest to the camera (at the rear wheel and after) look like they may put up a small fight in the splitting department.

I actually work at a cabinet shop so im familliar with wood thats surfaced.
I'm not positive yet but im a bit embarresed to say im thinking i may have ash instead of oak. the grain looks very similar to oak but have wider bands.
The tree while very wet inside was actually dead by white 1" plus long size worms under the bark, and most of the bark was already off before they cut it down.
Tonite i will get some better pics and maybe try to split one and get a better look at the wood inside. Now im wondering if i need to quarantine this wood so
the worms dont infect my oak.

On many rounds, I'm seeing defined sapwood and heartwood that Look more like oak than ash to me.

Split a little bit of it. If oak, it will smell like oak.

TreePointer said:
On many rounds, I'm seeing defined sapwood and heartwood that Look more like oak than ash to me.

Split a little bit of it. If oak, it will smell like oak.

Oak splits vs. rounds are very distinct, we should know after he takes one apart.

Ok i have some splits and photos now. Im gonna stick with my original thought that it is some sort of oak, non red. It smells much different from my red or white oak. and the growth rings just baffle me. much wider than any oak ive seen.

Attachments

• tn2.jpg
    tn2.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 374
  • tn3.jpg
    tn3.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 361
  • tn4.jpg
    tn4.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 358
  • tn5.jpg
    tn5.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 368
  • tn6.jpg
    tn6.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 372
  • tn7.jpg
    tn7.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 368
Constrictor said:
I just finished a 4 load 7-8 cord of oak score made up of just 2 trees. The biggest one was red oak and the smaller one 32" dia
:gulp:

chinkapin_oak said:
Could be pin oak?
That seems like a pretty good guess...definitely Oak. Was the tree growing in a wet environment?

Pin Oak is often used as a landscape tree...

Look pretty pin oakish to me. One of my least favorite trees. Good firewood though.

krex1010 said:
Look pretty pin oakish to me. One of my least favorite trees. Good firewood though.
What's not to like about a Pin Oak??

Pin oak smells like poo to me.

The first pictures does look like Pin Oak, but I'm not sure that second bark picture does. Pin oak, that I've seen, tends to have a smooth bark with shallow breaks in them.

Woody Stover said:
krex1010 said:
What's not to like about a Pin Oak??

Try chipping pin oak branches on a 25 degree day and you will hate that tree too lol.

My guess is if you try planting a stick of it you will confirm my suspicion. I think it's dead oak. But that's just a guess. Might as well get it ready to burn if you're not going to make something special out of it. :eek:hh:

Status
Not open for further replies.