What kind of tree is this ??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Lakeside

Minister of Fire
Feb 6, 2009
Mike's World
I stopped at a new park last weekend and they had a couple of these trees.. Note the bell shaped trunk and the close-up picture of the leaves. My first thought was a Ceder or a Cypress but my internet searches have not helped me determine what it is . Do you know ? I guess I could always stop back at the park and ask the maintenance dept people. The trees are located in Central Mass near the Connecticut border a little far north for cypress if I am correct.

Attachments

• P7161282.JPG
    P7161282.JPG
    299.7 KB · Views: 154
  • P7161283.JPG
    P7161283.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 147
I'd also say a redwood, cedar, or cypress.

Reactions: Lakeside
At first I thought mimosa, but maybe not. Is it deciduous and does it flower?

Reactions: SpaceBus
dawn redwood (Metasequoia glyptostroboides) - I have a specimen in my yard.
https://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?kempercode=a396

Beautiful, soft, feathery foliage. It's a deciduous conifer, so needles drop in fall. Needle arrangement is opposite (bald cypress, another common deciduous conifer has alternate needle arrangement.
A curiosity: there remain stumps (not fossils) on Axel Heiberg Island in Nunavet, Canada (above the 80* parallel !).​

Yeah, I have one of the meta sequoias in my yard, my son brought a sapling to us from when he was working at Longwood Gardens in Philly a few years back. Thriving in the NE Ohio environment, gotta watch out for their roots that surge up through the yard when they get bigger, they can stop a lawnmower blade cold.

Reactions: D8Chumley