What kind of wood is this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mdale10

Nov 6, 2019
GR, Michigan
Anyone know what kind of wood this is ?
0230BBFE-D146-47D4-A292-738108A21FA5.jpeg
ACF6C3A1-5F1B-4B9F-BDD6-1A67FE9BC1B2.jpeg

+1 for oak

Thanks guys. Yeah I’m new at this just ordered a cord of wood and have been going through stacking it. Didn’t realize oak had that reddish center.

Bark doesn't tell us much there, but the split looks like red oak.

Which, in my view, is the best all-round firewood.

Thanks guys. Yeah I’m new at this just ordered a cord of wood and have been going through stacking it. Didn’t realize oak had that reddish center.
Oak takes a long time to dry out, make sure that it is dry enough to burn this season if you are planning on doing that. If you can smell any aroma it's not ready yet, might want to see if anyone like a friend or local stove shop has a moisture meter to see what water percentage it reads first.

Oak takes a long time to dry out, make sure that it is dry enough to burn this season if you are planning on doing that. If you can smell any aroma it's not ready yet, might want to see if anyone like a friend or local stove shop has a moisture meter to see what water percentage it reads first.
Yeah I do have a moisture reader. Some of it is under 20% and a lot of it is at 35% and has an oder. Which leads me to another question I was going to ask. Can I quicken up the drying process by burning fire next to it. Like a small campfire next to the pile to speed up the drying process.

I have some seasoned wood that I cut last year but maybe half the cord I bought isn’t seasoned all the way. Was thinking of trying that next to those stacks.

Yeah I do have a moisture reader. Some of it is under 20% and a lot of it is at 35% and has an oder. Which leads me to another question I was going to ask. Can I quicken up the drying process by burning fire next to it. Like a small campfire next to the pile to speed up the drying process.

I have some seasoned wood that I cut last year but maybe half the cord I bought isn’t seasoned all the way. Was thinking of trying that next to those stacks.
You'd have to speed it up a lot. If there is still odor, you're likely 24-30 months away from being ready, under normal seasoning.

I don't think that will accomplish much but I could be wrong.

if you know your going to run into a problem everytime you load the stove throw in a not so dry split and you probably won't know the difference.